home learning college

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by deadspeak, Jul 23, 2006.

1. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

hi fellas
    i've trying to find home learning colleges etc and came across Home learning college . had the "salesman" come round to my house and go through the details of the course i'm interested in (computer maintenance) a bit pricey at £1433 also seemed a bit out of date Windows 98se and 2000. i've seem a couple of threads from early this years, but i was wondering if anyone has had any recent experiences.
    You can obtain 1 of 2 qulifications at the end CompTIA A+ cetified Professional, which i've managed to find plenty of info on, and it looks like a pretty good one, or The association of Certified IT professionals which aprt from their own website seem to be pretty elusive.
    any thoughts anyone may have will be greatly appreciated, and could save me a shed load of cash.

cheers

Certifications: Staring out
    WIP: Looking into Comptia A+
  2. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Hi its really simple, self-study... i gave a break down of the costs here its a rough estimate but very close

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

just looking at your *company* dont believe those salaries... they are way blown out (25k-40k for MCDST is CRAZY! :eek: ) more like 15k would be a very good start

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi,

I wouldn't bother learning about Windows 98! Ok, people might argue that the future operating systems were built on this, but it is now finito.
    take a look at Zimbo's fab guide to help you decide.

Best of luck

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Simon, Windows 2000 and XP were not built on Windows 98. They are part of the NT4 family, hence much more stable than Win9x.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

It always, amazes me how they work out the wages for these jobs, also the fact there are no prices for the courses. :blink

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, The 2k startup screen even has 'built on NT technology'or something like that. 8)

There is still the odd Windows 98 PC lurking in some offices. Usually it has an application that was written by ‘Dave’ who used to work for the company but has now left and didn’t document anything. The whole company uses this PC and its application that cannot be migrated to Windows XP as nobody has the original source code and Dave will not come back to migrate the app as the pay sucks and he hates the boss. There is no backup and there is 1MB free disc space. Also the hard drive seems to be making a weird clicking noise.

Just a typical day for me! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sorry, what i meant to say was that the look and *way around 98* isn't too far a field from the later Operating Systems.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. deadspeak

deadspeak Bit Poster

Just been doing some reserch into this company on http://www.companieshouse.gov.uk//index.shtml
    and found out that this is the 3rd name that they have gone by, and the previous times the companys were dissolved.
    think i'll steer well clear. Great site guys loads of help on offer, keep up the good work.

Paul

Certifications: Staring out
    WIP: Looking into Comptia A+