Home Learning College (CompTIA)

Discussion in 'General CompTIA Certifications' started by JamesSpurs91, Feb 8, 2011.

1. JamesSpurs91

JamesSpurs91 Bit Poster

I have recently took an interest in studying the comptia pathway course with Home Learning College. Which inculdes the CompTIA A+ and the CompTIA Network Cert's.

I have a course advisor coming to my house in two day's.

Just wondered if anyone has any info on Home Learning College and if they are honourable to what they tell you at the start.

2. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Save yourself some money mate and do it yourself there is more then enough resources here to pass these certs! I paid 273 all in to pass my A+ thats the cost of exams and materials. Them companys are just another expense!

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  3. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Do yourself a favour m8 and say thanks but no thanks to the Home Learning College I wish I had known about this forum before I started my courses:( ...I went with another training company and had to pay £1600, admitely that was for 8 different courses inc a+,n+ server, security etc....and I think HLC are actually pretty expensive for the 2 courses you are doing(I looked at them as well) I think they were qouting me about £1200 for a+ and something else so they will come and see you and give it all the sales patter(you will get this and that with us etc)
    Bottom line buy some books from amazon eg and self study and of course if you get stuck ask the members of this great forum......let us know how you get on and good luck:D:D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  4. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Hi Mate,

You would be looking at £30-£40 for each book and then £150 each test so for both could be looking at just under £400 and your own motivation.

Let the guy come round and be prepared and dont sign anything there and then but maybe ask what extra are you going to get from them considering you can do it yourself for £400. I fi was you I would delay going with a training provider and buy the a+ book and see how you get on yourself at first.

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  5. JamesSpurs91

JamesSpurs91 Bit Poster

Yeah thats great thanks for the advice i have jsut looked on amazon and found the books for around that price so yeah sound do you think i would need an old pc to play with aswell. but yeah i am going to say this.

6. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

The above cost + Ebay - old PC £10.00 fuel to pick up £5.00

Total 415 Done

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  7. JamesSpurs91

JamesSpurs91 Bit Poster

Yeah i have already got an old pc for free it is my old one which was built from scratch by a family friend so thats sorted jsut need a screen and keyboard and mouse lol.

8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

why not just get a switch box and connect it to that and your own pc then you can use both computers on the same monitor and keyboard. You can pick one up for a tenner.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. 1/4

1/4 Byte Poster

Cancel the appointment, it's easily done on your own and when you get stuck this is why we are here.

Certifications: A+, N+
    WIP: 70-680
  10. JamesSpurs91

JamesSpurs91 Bit Poster

Hey everyone jsut to let you i have indeed gone with the homelearning college as they did do me a good deal in the end which will help me get through the certification. I know alot of you will think it was a waste of time telling me what you did but i am still going to consider self study for maybe the next cert after doing the A+ and then the Network+ with Homelearning college.

Thanks for the advice though.

11. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

Utter mug.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  12. JamesSpurs91

JamesSpurs91 Bit Poster

Well that's jsut your opinion mate and if thats how you wanted to be you may aswell have not commented.
    Loser.

13. veloce

veloce Byte Poster

thats your decision James.

I had a bad experience with HLC, partly down to my not fully grasping the subject matter (vb.net) and the fact that once I had signed up, I had no further communication with the "advisor" who promised to check in with every 2 months. Add to that a frankly rubbish customer service department meaning that I don't have much faith in HLC. The tutor on my course, to his credit, was very attentive, and could not have been any more helpful.

I do not doubt that HLC has worked for some people. I just was not one of them. In hindsight I wish I had known about CF back then.

I would not use them again, lesson learnt unfortunately, and £1200 down too.

All I will say is, please update us with your progress and your experiences. There are a few on here who doubtless be interested in this, myself included.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: BSc Hons Computing & IT
  14. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I doubt Paul was meaning that in a bad way he is probably meaning that you will end up paying a lot of money for something that can be done for very little money which is a bit dumb especially if they have fed you some BS like you will get a good job and you will earn xxx amount for your first job etc

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  15. alexdc12

alexdc12 Kilobyte Poster

Put is this way i passed my A+ a month ago and i aint got a job yet! :D glad i self studied for it too! 270 all in

Certifications: GNVQ Advanced IT, CompTIA A+, CompTIA N+, 70-680
    WIP: 70-685, ITIL v3 Foundation
  16. paulwatson5

paulwatson5 Byte Poster

No, it wasnt just my opinion, it was the opinion of about 10 others too who told you if you had read the post properly.
    People who give you free and solid advice, people who have been in your situation and dont want others to learn from their mistakes. But you didnt listern, so for that, you deserve to lose a lot of money as you were easily led by a £6 per hour sales man who applied ample pressure for you to sign up.

Lets see how it ends up.

Certifications: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
    WIP: CompTIA Network +
  17. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Maybe self studying isn't for him first time round and he isn't confident to do it.

it's his career choice at the end of the day, and his money - not ours - we can offer advice and he can choose to do as he wishes.

best of luck with the course/exams either way James

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  18. Retriibution

Retriibution New Member

Hello, sorry to dig up an old thread ive been looking at the compTia a+ courses with several "distance" learning companies and was about to approach one until i spotted this gem of a thread. Could you tell me which books you bought and where from to "home study" please i dont want to waste money on unnecessary courses.

Many thanks.

19. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010