Home entertainment setup

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by noelg24, Sep 20, 2005.

1. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

So next up I would like to know who here has the most hmmm how should I put it? the most efficient set up in their home for their entertainment...

such as do you have a seperate TV, DVD/Video player/recorder, Hi-Fi system or does your PC do all of them?

My PC does the whole caboodle...plays movies, makes DVDs, plays music, watch Sky TV, with a 5.1 speak setup and 2 monitors one 15" and one 19" which I use as my main one both LCD TFT...now remember people its not about who has the fanciest gadgets but who has the most efficient and compact set up...or however you want to put it....:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Got a laptop, lets me browse the web. Got a telly, lets me watch it! :p

I guess I'm just not that much of a techno freak! :ohmy

3. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

dont have anything fancy yet, no point till I get a new TV
    at present I use my PC and or Laptop to watch DVDs/Movies/play music

all media is located on a large fileserver available for LAN streaming of DivX/XviD, MP3, Ogg, DVD ISO etc
    when out and about my webserver can transcode the mp3s/ogg on the fly to a lower bitrate and allow me access to my entire music collection from any web capable system

When using the desktop I can use one of my LCDs for viewing movies, or can switch to PIP mode and still get work done with a movie playing in a small overlay frame

I'm in the process of gathering parts of my mythtv system that will run on Gentoo Linux, and contain 3 TV tuner cards, havn't worked out the finer points yet, but it should be nice :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  4. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

hahaha. every thing in my house is seperate, tv,dvd,s/sound,sub, etc.... maybe should look at sorting it out.
    lotsa plugs= big bills! lol.

i was thinking though of getting a wireless media box.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  5. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

What would you guys recommend at best? I was thinking of media streaming.

I'm going to set up a media PC anyway for my entertainment delights; however, I live in a shared house arrangement, and when I'm downstairs eating, there is naught but terrestrial - no VCR, DVD player, anything. Would streaming media lighten my dinner times? I don't think my landlady would appreciate me whacking a dish on the side of a listed building.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  6. mojorisin

mojorisin Kilobyte Poster

Seperate TV/DVD/Video/Freeview

PC can be used for playing all my mp3's and also DVD's

Used to have a server setup in my garage that i connected to wirelessly using my laptop and streamed mp3's/DVDISO's/Divx/Xvid from

but this was only available to me not via the web or anything

Once in figure out how to connect my 2 routers as a bridge then i might set it up again

1 wireless router in the house 1 wireless router in the garage need them connected wirelessly so if anyone has any ideas/experience in this shout out now :biggrin

WIP: Microsoft 365 Identity and Services MD-100
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I listen to music on my laptop which has some quite decent Altec Lancing speakers and sub woofer. In the formal lounge I have a Loewe (German) TV with a built in VGA card, so I can watch movies etc from the laptop or the DVD player. Yamaha home theatre sound system with 5 ceiling mounted Bose speakers and a sub woofer.

I would like a PC set up with Media Centre, oh and a 52" wide-screen plasma or whatever HDTV :rolleyes:

First things first though and I am looking at digital TV STB (set top box) as buying the Loewe integrated board is way too expensive.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)