Home and Learn

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Frontier, Nov 30, 2005.

1. Frontier

Frontier Byte Poster

Anyone here know anything about http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/ or done a course with them? They are doing a VB.NET course for £40. Does not state whether or not it is recognised qualification but you do get a cert with an analysis of what you have achieved. What do you guys think of it? Maybe it could be a cheaper way of getting into programming perhaps? Who knows.

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Well, if they're free then the price is right. On the other hand, a casual scan of the site suggests that their material is for the drop dead beginner and as such, won't take you very far in terms of a professional career so you may get bored by their courses in short order.

I discovered that most hardware vendors including HP offer free online courses as promotional material. I've even written some of the courses for HP, eMachines, and Gateway. Here's an example:

http://h30187.www3.hp.com/

Like the free courses at the site you referenced, you will tend to blow past them pretty fast if your goal is to become an IT professional.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. _omni_

_omni_ Megabyte Poster

they kind of contradict themselves there, saying that 1. most certs don't impress employers, and 2. the ones that impress them are the ones that cost thousands of pounds.

assuming the "thousands of pounds" certs are microsoft (and cisco?), i believe those would be the "most certificates" that employers supposedly don't care about.

but being as cheap as it is, i definately would say to try it out. can only do you good.

Certifications: MCSE 2003, MCSA:M