Holographic Computing

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Feb 25, 2015.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

The era of holographic computing is here, well so Microsoft say:

http://www.microsoft.com/microsoft-hololens/en-us?ocid=WOL_HoloLensGlobe

Personally I can see this taking off in the way the video shows it, I mean teaching a women how to change and s-bend while wearing some stupidly oversized glasses is just not the best way to showcase this technology. The gaming element might be a cool idea though.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I thought it looked great that. I'd buy something like that but I can't see all the pieces coming together seamlessly yet. My internet goes a bit flaky at times, I could see stuff like that spoiling it

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

As far as I've seen, the device holds quite a lot of technology inside with multiple cameras, projectors, and even a purpose built GPU/CPU that does the Holographic calculations. I'm guessing the glasses will eventually slim down and become less and less obtrusive as the technology we have, improves and takes up less space.

Of course, to be able to get investors, shareholders, coders and the community on board, Microsoft was showing many scenarios for use. Some of them relevant to the gamers, others that help you troubleshoot things (like fixing the kitchen plumbing) remotely. They already do some of this in surgeries where an expert in the field, has a view of the proceedings and provides advice orally in real time to the surgeon doing the incisions and other work. Now add something in place that also lets the expert remotely point at specific parts of the body to quickly show where a cut needs to go, or where bleeding must be stopped, etc... etc... Much more efficient then shouting "a bit to the left, no, go up, up, UP, QUICKER! STOP THE BLEEDING, OMG!!!"

You get what I'm saying :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Yeah you don't want to look like Geordie Leforge (probably wrong spelling) with a K&N airfilter over your eyes ha ha I wonder what gaming will be like in the future. Something that could make your house look like something from a Dracula movie could be great, using technology like that

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs