Holiday Plans

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by SimonV, Dec 16, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

So whats your plans for the festive holidays? :xmas

SimonV
    :D

Last edited: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Non-traditional answer in my case: Nada tostada. Since we don't celebrate Christmas, we'll just stay home and have a day off. My poor wife, since she works at a convention center, has to work killer hours both Christmas Eve and New Years Eve. It's not that she's missing what she'd consider a holiday...just that she has to be out there with a lot of drivers under the influence.

The city closes at 1 p.m. on both "eves" and of course is closed Christmas and New Years Days. My last day at this job is Friday the 2nd so going back for my last day will seem a bit odd. Probably a good day to wrap things up.

Good day to rent movies, turn the heat up and brew some hot chocolate. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Sounds good trip

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Hey whoa, Derek. Si asked a question here. Get back and answer it like a good fellow. Wassup? :wink:

5. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Sorry Guy's, Wont happen again,

I would rather stay in bed and have a lye in but when you have a family that is not always possible we will be up early christmas morning with the kids to open there presents, speand the rest of the morning telling them that if they dont wonthem we will take them back and they get nothing for being so ungrateful, I usually sit and install batteries in everything only to realise that We did not buy enough or the ones we did buy are in a safe place ready for christmas morning, So safe we forgot where is was. Take a walk with the family to the mother in laws (soon to be) and spend the afternoon there for dinner with the rest of the family (which includes, 12 kids, 16 or 17 adults all squashed into a 2 bedroomed bungalow). then go home and convince the kids that I/We have eaten too much to play electronic paintball, and anyway the noisey games are better when played in the bedroom.

I know that I sound Like a bore but I find christmas day to be FAR TOO STRESSFUL. :evil:

Happy Christmas TO You And Yours From Me And Mine.

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

At the risk of sounding like a scrooge, I have to agree with you. December is so much less stressful since we've stopped "celebrating" Christmas. Also, it's a lot easier on the pocket book. We haven't been completely able to stop all the relatives from sending us gifts...usually for the kids, but it's down to a dull roar. A lot of them compensate by sending us Channukah cards, not realizing that Channukah is not just the "Jewish Christmas".

Channukah is really a minor holiday in the Jewish calendar of events. Sure, there's gift giving, but it's just little gifts...small tokens. "I feel your pain", Derek. Actually, now that I think about it, sometimes we get together with one or two other families on Christmas just because we all have the day off of work. No gifts and such, but anytime is a good time to eat. :) :wink:

7. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

We'll be spending the morning with the wee one ripping open presents left, right and centre - wide-eyed, and asking "How does Santa really know thats what I wanted ?" (Answer: cos you told us so often, he got the message :D )

Then, around lunchtime, its off to have Christmas dinner (and drinks) with my parents. After that, my poor Wife has to then drive us all 40 miles up the road to have more food (and drinksh) with her brother and family (her Mother will be there already) .

Then I shink itsh home again (more drinkshh), and ZZZzzz... :sleeping

This is what we have done in the many years we've been together, trying to please both families in the one day - at our expense (and stress) of having to go to wherever it was that year.

So, I've decided (Missus agress, tho') - nest year is OUR time. Lazy day with and FOR the wee one. Any family will obviously be more than welcome for snacks (and drinks) - but we ain't leaving the house :super

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Gee Gav, judging by how your post is written and the loose tags lying around, I think you've started to celebrate a wee bit early. :morebeer

9. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey, come on - I forgot to Preview - look, all nice and tidy now :thumbleft

10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Well I love this time of year, our family is pretty dis-jointed and we dont get together all that much the rest of the year. Xmas day will be spent with my mother and this year my niece wil be there, we'll have the usual roast dinner with plent of :morebeer throughout the day. I have a friend that I've known since my school days that I'll visit her for a couple of hours during xmas day and probably have a few more beers.

All day will be spent at my mothers on xmas day and by the end I will have eaten and drunk way too much as usual so will have an early night ready for the grandparents on boxing day. Boxing day is a big family gathering where about 12 Adults and 6 kids all try and fit into a small bungerlow and by the time all the gifts have been exchanged you cant move for wrapping paper.

I'll also be spending alot of time with close friends especially between xmas and newyear. :D I cant wait. :xmas

NEXT

11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Boxing Day? Rings a small bell but that's it. What's "Boxing Day" (do you get to hit anybody)? :)

12. SimonV
    Honorary Member

I've been tempted a few times over the years. :boxing

Si

13. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

I'm sleeping. :sleeping

Have a good one everyone. :xmas :rendeer

14. SimonV
    Honorary Member

Is that it flex. Boy you must be tired. :tongue

15. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Christmas and Boxing Day back to back and presents on both. Man, you could clean up with a racket like that. :D

16. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

They do, Trip year in, year out, and we keep falling for it :oops: