Hola!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Lhyet, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Lhyet

Lhyet New Member

Hey everyone!

I've been hanging around this board for quite some time now without posting, but as it's the night before my 70-270 exam and I should be doing some last minute studying, I decided what better time to post an introduction thread?

I've recently gotten my MCDST cert and am currently looking to get out of my dead boring and poorly paid warehouse job and into my first IT role.
    I've been looking since mid-Jan, but as of yet, no luck. There's been a few jobs kicking around but with my lack of commercial experience I guess I'm further down in the pile than I'd truly like to be, but I expected the catch22 situation of 'no experience = no work' 'no work = no experience' when I started, so I persevere.

I've been using computer systems ever since my first NES was given to me one wonderful Christmas morning, but after finishing college with an AVCE in IT for virtually nothing, I wasn't completely sure which direction to take.
    I ended up signing up for the MCSE course with the Advent training company after a friend of a friend recommended it to me and after some research, I made the plunge with my money.
    I'm kinda on the wall with how it's been so far. By all means I've had a very good experience with the company, the trainers and the other students and so I can't fault Advent so far in the slightest... but at the same time I partly regret handing over such a sum of money for something that I could have done cheaper myself.
    We live and learn~

So yes, I'm now sat here and making a huge long life story when I should be studying for my 70-270 exam tomorrow... I'm so responsible~
    I'm fairly confident about this one, though not so much as the 271 and 272. Mainly thanks to the online mock exam that Advent had me take which threw a few bizarre questions at me about Cypher, MTU and working out IP ranges which neither my MS Press book nor the TestOut software have said anything about.

Ah well, back to studying~ Wish me luck!

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCSA
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, you'll be **way** overcertified with the MCSE, considering you haven't yet administered a server in a real-world IT environment. Companies with entry-level jobs don't need to hire an MCSE for entry-level work... and companies with more advanced jobs want people with experience. As a result, the MCSE can make it MORE difficult to get your first IT job, not less difficult...

...but Advent wasn't going to tell you that... they wanted to sell you on the most expensive batch of courses they could hook you for.

Get your first IT job as soon as possible, because that'll get you the one thing that ALL employers prefer: real-world experience.

Again, welcome! And good luck on your exam!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Lhyet

Lhyet New Member

Oh don't worry, I've lurked in these forums for long enough to know I'd be over certified if I finished the MCSE without finding a job first :)

Like I said, I'm looking for my first IT job right now. The only reason I'm getting this 70-270 out of the way right now is for that reason, to get it out of the way. That way as soon as I get a job and am working in an environment where I'll be supporting users on a domain, I'll start working on the server side of the certifications.
    Until I get that job though, I may play around with S03 on Virtual PC, but I won't be taking the exam.

Thanks for the welcome ^^

4. dalsoth

dalsoth Kilobyte Poster

Hi and welcome :D Good luck on the exam! I have my 70-290 soon and i have not studied half as much as i wanted to so am feeling very nervous.

Regarding your course, Michael got there first and said it well. An MCSE qualification is something you would have if you were working with MS servers for years in my opinion. I have been managing networks for about 6-7 years and i am a complete novice in some areas still. I am only now getting my self in to gear to get my certs. From studying these MS certifications though i can say that they would not have helped at all with many of the problems i have faced over the years.

It seems you have been duped into getting a cert that will only hurt your chances at entry level jobs. If i were you i would apply now for any entry level job as the certs you have should stand you in good stead. If you are still in the same position down the line and have achieved the MCSE, I would consider keeping it off the CV until you gain more experience actually working with servers in a production environment.

Certifications: MCSE, MCP, MCDST, MCSA, ITIL v3
    WIP: MCITP EA
  5. BosonMichael

See, that's where you're not understanding... you'll be overcertified if you finish the MCSE without first having a year's experience doing server administration in a 250+ user, multi-site, multi-server domain environment... which you typically do AFTER you do desktop support... which typically comes after a more entry-level job. You're shooting two or three steps ahead of where you ought to be shooting.

So... unless you plan to take years to do your MCSE, you'll likely be overcertified for your experience level when you get it.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  6. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

Hi mate,

I was in a similar situation to you, where i signed up to a MCSE course with a TP (not advent) without an IT job. At the time i didn't know that you need experience etc, as i wasn't told that by the TP. luckily i got a job in IT almost as soon as i started the course.

If i was you i wouldn't tell your the employers you are working towards the MCSE in the interview, as they will think you will only stay for a short time.

Also i don't know where you are in essex you are, but i have seen a few entry level jobs about. Mostly basildon, chelmsford and colchester.

Good luck with the job hunt and the exam.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

Good luck with the exam.

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
  8. Lhyet

Lhyet New Member

Ah ha, now that you put it that way, you have a damn good point.
    I understand where you're coming from and see I'm indeed going to have to be a bit careful with how I continue. The last thing I want to do is shoot myself in the foot >.>

I think the best I can do for now is very slowly work on the MCSA when I get a job, and try and stick in that job for a good few years until I have the experience to go along with the certifications.

Thanks for your insight, Michael. It's very much appreciated and I'm open to any more you may have =)

Nath, yeah I've applied for a couple of jobs around, but I guess they'll pick anyone with experience over me. Though I won't let it get me down and I'll just keep trying. I've also had a bit of a rewrite of my CV and shall post it over in the other section for people to give me some most helpful tips.

Oh, and I passed my 70-270 ^^ Though I think I'll leave it off the CV for now and not work towards taking any more exams until I've been in a job for a while.

Thanks again guys =)

9. Big_nath

Big_nath Kilobyte Poster

It is hard to find your first IT job. I got my break in a school. Where are you looking for jobs? what sites?

Good job on the pass.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA, MCSA:M, MCSE, MCTS
    WIP: A few
  10. Lhyet

Lhyet New Member

Job Centre Plus
    Total Essex
    Monster
    Totaljobs
    CWjobs
    Reed
    Those are the few I'm frequently searching and added my CV to.

A job in a school would be great. I've heard a number of good things about schools as first jobs, but recently the only one that's been looking was also asking for website coding knowledge... which is certainly not my forté >.>

11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

good luck, it may be an idea to take the MCSE of your CV or say you are working towards it but would like the experience to be able to complete.

Unfortunately certifications like MCSA, MCSE and CCNA are not for people who are looking for their first jobs. They require experience as they are designed to show your level of experience not that you can pass some exams.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Congrats on the pass! Everyone is giving you great advice here. I recently did not get a server job because my MBA had some thinking I would be leaving for the first manager job that comes available. This is the same team that will not promote a member to lead server tech because he has an outdated MCSE (NT). We both have experience but both were burned from the too much/not enough certification/education.

I truly believe that people get hired based on everything else and education becomes a way they can eliminate or escalate one candidate from another (whether you have too much or too little).

I work with these people so they know I have an MBA, but I would advise highlighting your MCDST and 270 MCP on your resume and during any interviews. Sell yourself on the job you are applying for. Be very excited for your entry-level IT job and explain that you want to immerse yourself in that role first and foremost and then decide how you would like to proceed in your career. This is an eggshell area in the interview process. Most managers say they want someone motivated, but I have interviewed many desktop techs and help desk techs in peer interviews and the majority of people will not favor a candidate they view as competition or someone who wants to move up. Managers will say that they want motivated candidates, but thier hiring patterns do not indicate that.

Do not get me wrong, there are exceptional managers out there who want to hire people that want the manager jobs, but again I have not seen to many act in that manner.

I would hold off on the MCSE and go after your A+ and Network+ after that. Many entry level jobs require A+ and you already have the MS ones you need. Focus on how you would be the best HelpDesk/Desktop support candidate in your interviews.

I love your positive attitude. It is hard to not hire someone everyone likes in the interview.:rocks

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  13. BosonMichael

I think you're in the right mindset now. :thumbleft Since you've already got the A+ and MCDST, I'd recommend knocking out the Network+, when you've got some time to do so.