1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

HND the bare minimum for a programming job?

Discussion in 'Scripting & Programming' started by jo74, Sep 27, 2009.

1. jo74

jo74 Byte Poster

And the knowledge and ability to program of course:biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, Sec+
    WIP: CCENT, CCNA
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Probably if you don't have any previous experience

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. Arroryn
    Honorary Member

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed

I'd say the knowledge and ability to program is the bare minimum for a job in programming :wink:

What knowledge and experience do you have at the moment?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Your question pretty much answers itself.

The bare minimum to get a programming job is the ability to program to some degree.

:biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. wagnerk
    Highly Decorated Member Award

wagnerk aka kitkatninja Moderator

IMO (plus the adverts I've seen), while the HND/Degree is recommend, it's not essential.

Back in the days before I entered the IT support field, I got short-list for quite a few programming jobs and all I had qualificaiton wise was my C&G's in programming and my NVQ in Software Creation both which are alot lower than a HND (let alone a degree). Experience wise, while I didn't have commerical experience I did do alot of "practice" programming, got myself a few programming books and created the programs shown then created variations of them. The main reason for my "switch" was lack of transportation (public transport was very unrealiable back then - more so than today, plus I didn't drive).

-Ken

Certifications: CITP, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, PTLLS, MCT, MCITP, MCTS, MCSE, MCSA:M, MCSA, MCDST, MCP, MTA, MCAS, MOS (Master), A+, N+, S+, ACA, VCA, etc... & 2nd Degree Black Belt
    WIP: PGDip