hmmm whats going on with my server?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Juelz, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

so I set up a server with the NOS R2 2008. Now I was configuring the network settings giving it a static IP address making sure I had the address available on my network, used cmd to get my default gateway, however I noticed the default gateway on the VM with R2 2008 and the default gateway on my host was different?

I ignored this and used the default gateway from the host, however this would not work and give an error that DHCP isn't enabled on the network. I then went ahead and set the IP address to obtain from the DHCP server, used cmd and did ipconfig /all once again took down the current IP address and default gateways which were not the standard 192.168 but instead 10.0. and then put this default gateway into the network config page and changed the last octect of the IP address I got from the ipconfig /all This is working but I still want to know why the hell my host and vm machine are giving off different IP values for the default gateway and why the IP address of each machine appears to be on separate networks? Admittedly I wont lie this could be a very simple thing I am missing but given that I have only learned the fundamentals of networking in the past 2-3 months I'm not too shabby at it now.

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Depending on how you have you VM set up you can have a 'virtual network', this virtual network can then have a subnet and 'default gateway of a virtual 'router'. This virtual router is in fact a device driver from your virtualization layer and then routes packets to your host.

Can be sure but it sounds like this might be your set up.

Juelz likes this.
  3. Juelz

Juelz Gigabyte Poster

Thank you dmarsh, this is what I was thinking but wasn't sure if this was even possible, but you have given me a direction to do further investigation.