Hmm...Cerco Training?!?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Smorg, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Hi all! Well, just after some advice. I'll be redundant in a month or so and after a lot of thinking and pondering, I fancy a career in IT.
    I had a look at Cerco and after passing their online test was invited to an open day. I must say that it was pretty promising. The bit I liked was that they don't accept anyone. Out of the 16 people that went to the open day, 2 of us were offered a place on their course....However, in theory it sounds ok but 4K for the course is quite expensive! I'm quite tempted but my only fear is that I pay 4K, pass the course but am unable to find that 1st job. If all I have (IT wise) is Cerco Training graduate on my CV, will this be recognised by any potential employers?!?

WIP: A+
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Smorg,

Welcome to CF. Glad you found this great place :iluvcf

Sorry to hear about you loosing your job. This could be the key to a new door for you.

As far as paying for any training think long and hard before doing so! There are many people on this forum with good and bad things to say about all of them.
    I can answer the cert one. No. As far as i remember the course you refer to is for training that will help you get a job. You can then go back (more money for different course) for what is called A+ and N+.

Hope this helps. Please look on this forum for key words that you are looking to find more on.

Boyce

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Hi there

There is a thread already in our Training and Development section with regards to Cerco that was started recently; you may want to check that out, and search for some other information.

Secondly, welcome to Certforums!

I have a few questions with regards to your post, that I would ask the Cerco people.

1) How do you know that only 2 of the 16 people at the open day were accepted? Did they tell you over the phone, or was it announced? If it was the former, I suspect they may be telling you fibs - I'd get it checked out.

2) In-house Certs, although they sort of verify you know your stuff, will probably not count for doodly if you put it on your CV. For 4K, I'd expect the course, and the exam fees already paid in for me. That's expensive. For any course. Leading to question 3.

3) What do you actually want to do? A quick search around this place will lead you to the conclusion (probably) that at entry level, self-studying should more than suffice. Comptia A+ and N+ is normally the way to go, and for the cost of some books, a little lab and the exams, anyone with savvy and commitment should be able to pass.

If you have an idea of the field in IT you want to go in to, check out some job sites, have a look at the role. You'll get to know what employers want, and you can direct your training the right way.

Good luck with whatever field you choose. And have fun!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Smorg - they've already said it all ! :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. Smorg

Smorg Bit Poster

Thanks for your comments. Basically, I work(ed) for quite a large company who had a large in house IT dept. I got talking to them about a career in IT as it's something I've always enjoyed - building my own PC, fixing parents PC etc etc
    One of the IT guys suggested I looked at the A+ as he reckons this was the entry qualification to get your foot in the door. I said this to the Cerco guy who told me that it was designed for people who already have a job in IT and wouldn't be much good if I was studying it in my current job or once I was unemployed.
    I quite fancy getting into the network side of things but would settle for anything to get a foot hold in the industry - ie Field engineer, help desk whatever it takes so I can then study and try and progress. I suppose it's like everyting, the hardest point is breaking into it and getting the 1st job etc.
    I just don't want to fork out 4K of my redundency package and have nothing to show for it but a Cerco certificate that doesn't really mean anything!
    P.S Merry xmas to you all!!!!

WIP: A+
  6. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

The Cerco guy told you a load of rubbish, if I'm being frank (and polite). The A+ is a vendor-neutral, entry level certification for anyone that wants to get an idea about IT and the role they'd like to take. Check out the details at www.comptia.org

If you'd like to go into networking, the N+ (Network+) is the next natural step. Then it's on to which vendor you wish to sell your soul to (if you want to go that far). :p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Smorg,

One way i would look upon it is like this:

You could spend thousands on training. This would hopefully be great and the provider would do their best to gear you up and hopefully get you the first job.

Or

You could try for a job that could lead or even be the first job that you would expect off the training provider. Yes, you would work for less money but then again you would have the vital experience in the field and only spent money on books, labs etc.

Let us know whatever you decide. :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sorry to hear about the redundancy, I’ve been there myself and it was a kick in the teeth at the time but I ended up landing a better job so it’s not all bad.

Personally I think spending £4k on a cert that isn’t widely recognised by the IT industry is a bad idea. The reason I say this is that I see loads of C.Vs on a day to day basis at work from people looking for a job, basically a cold call so to speak. Anyways those with Comptia, Microsoft or Cisco certs always get a second look and those with University, College or anything else need more work to find out exactly what skills they have obtained from their qualifications.

Furthermore for £4k you could go with another training provider and get the A+,N+ and MCSE.

My advice would be to study for the A+ (either self study or with a training provider) and apply for entry level IT jobs which wont look for experience but will require candidates that show potential and have good people skills.

Hope this helps! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Arroryn is absolutely right.

Start with A+ (and self study). Follow with Network+ (self study again). If you do it right, and see these forums for the way to go, you'll be heading down the MCP (Microsoft Certified Professional) route before you know it.

And you can spend the three grand you've got left on whatever you see fit. :slidedrin

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum Smorg.

I think the others have covered it all very nicely.

Good luck!

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Nothing much more to add really, just welcome to CF! :biggrin

12. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  13. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Smorg. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+