Hiya

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Bigsistermidnight, Dec 16, 2005.

1. Bigsistermidnight

Bigsistermidnight Bit Poster

Thought I would introduce mysel

Im Karen and a radiographer at the moment. I am planning a complete career change to IT, which is why I registered on here to look at other peoples experience and advice first.

Certifications: SG Computing Studies(ha ha),ECDL
    WIP: A+
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Karen. Interesting forum name you chose for yourself. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Hi there, do you know what area of IT you would like to get into?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. dee1810

dee1810 Byte Poster

Hi Karen

Welcome aboard - I hope that you can find answers to all of your questions.. :D

Certifications: Foundations, Site Designer & JavaScript
    WIP: Server Admin, and Perl
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hiya and welcome!

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Karen, and welcome to CF. I love your forum name. Hope we can help you get a taster for for what areas may interest you. Also, some of the posts and general opinions may open your eyes to the "dream ticket" that is IT. However you choose proceed, we're more than happy to help. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Bigsistermidnight

Hiya

Thanks everyone - I want to go down the line of IT support/technician. I am open to advice and suggestions. I have got all the bumpf from the various companies offering courses - this is the bit that worries me.

What if I make the wrong choice of company/course? What if I cant get a job at the end? I know the starting salary is probably less than I am on at the moment, but I feel that being happy in my job is better than being depressed in my present job. Probably the same as everyone else changing careers!

My username - It is just part of a line of a song that I really like!

Thanks again - Im away to start reading threads!!

8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Karen, if you are worried about committing to an expensive course for the long haul, go buy the Mike Meyers A+ book (check the A+ board, links for the book all over the place). Study that yourself (and with us and the rest of the Net) and sit the exam. See how you get on. If you hate it, then what, you lost £350ish ? Sign up for a course and hate it, you lose at least TEN times that amount.

You'll see this theme emerge many times on CF. It is not an anti-training provider stance. Far from it. But until you are sure you are cut out for IT training, save the big bucks. They will still be waiting for you next time ...

HTH :)

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi Karen and welcome to CF.

What Jakamoko said, do your research and do not part with any money until you are absolutely sure what you are getting into.

Self study is the cheaper alternative and with IT, you will end up self studying even if you go with a training provider.

Guaranteed jobs.. Phooey.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  10. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

What Bluerinse said !!! :biggrin

11. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Not got much to add too what has already been said.
    A+ is an excellent start point for IT certification,and many people achieve this through self study,without the need for an expensive training provider.

As one whom is with a training provider(mention no names)
    I now see the error of my ways.Its a bit late to save me a small fortune,but we learn from our mistakes 8)

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Good advice posted so far. Aim towards the A+ as your first cert to get a feel for studying for certs and also potentially what a first IT support job will involve.

If any training provider advises to go for the MCSE because it will give you x amount of money in your first job is talking rubbish, there are no shortcuts to the highly paid jobs but once you get your ‘foot in the door’ with your first IT job you make your own luck after that. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

By jove, I think she's got it :p

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome.

Nothing more to add! :biggrin

15. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to the forums, Karen! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  16. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  17. Bigsistermidnight

Thanks everyone - I have been reading all the threads on here and have decided I am going to self study the A+. In the new year I will get the books and buy a pc to play about with.

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Nah - buy the parts and build it, bigsis. You'll learn 10 times more that way. Have a look HERE for hardware sites we use :)