hiya

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Swanny, Sep 18, 2005.

1. Swanny

Swanny Bit Poster

Hi,

How's it goin people ? :biggrin :biggrin :biggrin
    Im a 27 yr old with a good knowledge of computers, whos decided to get out of doing crappy manual labour jobs in factorys and persue a career in IT :twisted:
    I walked out of a job making window frames (just had enough lol) and took a PC maintaince course at collage sept 04 till july 05, to do this i was there 2 days a week and took ECDL, CISCO IT Essentials 1, NCFE It practitioners and a OCR it cert.
    thinking that would be enough to get me a job as a techie lol how blinded was i ??
    Half way through the course i realised it takes alot more than that to get a job in IT, so now im back at collage (sept 05 - july 06) 2 days a week taking a advance networking course. This has another OCR cert, CISCO It essentials 2 and best of all a CCNA in it.

So hopefully i can get some much needed support and help of the CCNA ppl on here and hopefully i will find that holy grail - a job in it lol

Swanny

Certifications: ECDL, Cicso IT essentials 1, C , C++ C&G
    WIP: CCNA, A+
  2. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Welcome! :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome.
    Sounds like you are well on your way to IT! Have you seen our Cisco forum yet?
    I wish you the best and hope that this forum helps you as much as it has helped me.
    Good luck!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Swanny - glad to have you here :)

IMHO, the key is persistence - if you see an opening, go for it, regardless of what chance you think you have. Don't give up - enthusiasm and commitment are on your side. You'll get there.

In the meantime, pull up a beer and chill with the Guys - sing out if you have any questions :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  5. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Yup, wot they said.

Oh and welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Swanny. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

9. Swanny

Swanny Bit Poster

hi

thanks for the reply ppl. just had news on my course today they are dropping the cisco it esstials 2 and replaceing with Comp tia A + well happy !
    So at the end of july i hopefully should have a ccna and a A +
    do you think this will increse my chance of work in the it idustry ?? even though i have no experience ?

10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Slightly. Well, maybe I'm being pessimistic. You won't get a good paying job right off the bat. Be prepared to do entry-level work and earn your stripes before moving up.

11. Swanny

Swanny Bit Poster

Thanks tripwire45, i wasnt expecting to just walk into a well paid job. Iam more than prepared to find a entry level job to gain experience. Then once i have experience from that, I will start to look elsewere for a better salery.
    Do you think that it would be possible to achive this with the certs ill have ?? If so after i have the experience wat kind of salery are you likely to get ??

12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Let's see...an A+ and a CCNA...doing the calculations...annual salary after one year of experience is...:tongue

Just kidding. Sorry, I don't have a clue...especially in the UK. You might want to take a look at various IT job adverts and see which positions pay what...at least approximately. Then find the type of job you'd like to have and use that as a goal. It won't be exact but it would give you something to shoot for.

13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

G'day Swanny and welcome to THE forum!

Everyone here would like a well paid job in IT. A position where they are working with the technology they are familiar with and have studied. They would like to work for a good company, with fair employers and job security. A nice pension at the end would also be nice.

However the reality is not like this. Even experienced, certified and talented people find it difficult these days to land these sort after positions. It is possible but you must be patient and as Jakamoko said be persistent. Therein lies the key glasshopper :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  14. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Couldn't have said it better myself, Bluerinse! :salut

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  15. Swanny

Swanny Bit Poster

thanks for the advise guys, what kind of jobs would you call entry level ???