Hiring Picture Not Too Bright for IT

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by SimonV, Sep 4, 2003.

1. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hiring Picture Not Too Bright for IT

IT workers who have been on the unemployment lines may not want to hold their breath waiting for the job market to pick up, if they believe the findings of two recent surveys. Robert Half International warns fourth-quarter hiring will be essentially flat; while a survey of nearly 150 mainly tech-oriented public companies by Christian & Timbers suggests that trend will prevail thoughout 2004.

Perhaps the most dismaying result of the Christian & Timbers survey is that as overall IT spending begins to rebound, about half of the companies interviewed acknowledge that they're understaffed in the IT department. Nonetheless, most of those firms intend to do little about it, citing economic pressures, continued tightness in corporate budgets, and the allure of outsourcing and application hosting.

A Deloitte Consulting economist suggests that offshore outsourcing will be a boon to the Stateside economy, calling detractors "the last surviving members of the flat earth society." But outsourcing may not be the panacea for the bottom line that many execs hope—at least not in IT.

Forrester Research says that business processes are inevitably too complex for outsourcers to handle, reducing the value of moving complex core operations out of house. A new Gartner study, meanwhile, worries that IT departments aren't capable of policing their outsourcers to ensure they're getting full value for their money. Taken together, these studies suggest companies may better off with skilled IT workers in-house, even as more and more of those jobs get shipped out of the country.

Long term, some experts argue that the government's job statistics show that IT skills will eventually come back into high demand. Right now, though, IT workers are advised to keep their resumes up to date – and their fingers crossed.

Source: www.techweb.com

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  2. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

So many people have so little appreciation of how IT makes a difference.

They will realise soon enough though.

They will have no choice but to realise it.

When they do, I will be their with my certification.

3. flex22

flex22 Gigabyte Poster

Clasic FM news, 530am this morning.

"A report out today shows that 1 in 7 staff using computers do now know how to turn on and switch off a computer correctly.

I think I have a chance at getting a job.I'm an expert in shutting down and turning off my computers.I've got it down to a t.
    Now just the MCSE to tackle.

Bring it on :box2

4. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Way to go flex, you show em.... :bam

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  5. Paul_Savill

Paul_Savill New Member

Morning,

I think thinks are looking a bit better:

Computer Weekly Salary Survey shows quite reasonable growth for Pro IT UK Jobs QonQ, with London looking better than rest of the UK and Sys Developers roles taking the lion share of growth.

Our theory being London first in therefore first out of the IT recession we've been in.

Also, IT pro book sales, MS Cert titles are running up by about +20% YoY for Q2, 2nd Q of growth after a run of about 3 years downwards.

Granted it's not the levels of 2000 / 2001, but it looks better than last year by some way.

Tx

Paul

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Welcome, Paul. Glad to see another new face here. Why don't you pop up to the New Members forum and tell us a bit about yourself. Glad to have you. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

it is my firm belief that in ten years time, corporations will be in severe trouble when it comes to IT. not only will they be hideously understaffed, and have to pay extortionate amounts of money to hire new staff, but they wont be able to find experienced staff for love nor money, given their current propensity toward hiring ONLY experienced staff!

Fergal

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

i think your theory is somewhat correct fergal, however i think its more to do with companies that ARE outsourcing causing alot of IT workers to question there future employability and changing careers
    just like plenty did when IT was booming, people just up and changed careers

this will leave a big hole in the industry if you ask me

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

errrrr..... dont you mean hole? lol.

you may be right phoenix, but whatever the reason, it leaves poor people like a lot of us on here stranded.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  10. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah yeah i had just woken up lol

as for the standed part
    i dont agree, people are not born experts, all the experts got thier break, thats what it takes
    it doesnt always come along easy
    but it comes
    im only 22 and have worked for some of britains biggest firms, including investment banks and insurance firms
    I got my break young, lucky me

i tihnk the moving trend to outsourcing and the loss of lots of 'experts' will only move to HELP people with not much experiance, the smaller companies will be more likely to hire less experianced staff first
    this will give you more opertunities at the low end, and enable you to further progress, by the time the big cos realise thier mistake and start hiring local IT talent again, the folks that 'were' experts who changed careers, will be as out of touch with modern technology as newcomers where with archaic technology (read: Appletalk lol)
    this will put those who have been slogging on the lower runs ample opertunity to progress further, to small fortune 1000s, and eventually all the way up, if you know your stuff!

ofcourse not everyone wants to work in a fortune company do they :)

It all works out in the end Fergal mate, dont worry about it, just get on that ladder, and keep climbing!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  11. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

I agree with Phoenix, I got a lucky break and whilst I'm on a pathetic wage I know that the future is looking rosey for me. The morale of the story is keep plugging away and eventually you will get a lucky break. Then build on your experiences and everything will fall into place. I think there will always be a need for good IT staff it's getting a foot in the door thats the hard part. Keep your CV upto date and keep looking in jobs pages and online jobsites everyday. I agree with the comments made that the outsourcing will eventually cost companies more and they will turn back to homegrown talent. I've always taken what researchers say with a pinch of salt. Don't believe everything you read...:blink

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  12. Taz69

Taz69 Byte Poster

The money being offered at the minute might not be as high as we'd all hope but their is work out there.

After taking a couple of months to finish off my MCSE and overhaul my CV I applied for 3 jobs yesterday and I've already got 2 interviews lined up.

Not bad going considering that I have just got my MCSE and only have only about 13 months actual job experience.

Certifications: MCSE: S, MCSA:M, MCSA: S, Net+ & 70-284
    WIP: MCSA 2003 & MCSA:Messaging 2003
  13. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Nice one Taz Good Luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  14. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

kewl. Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+