Hirens boot cd

Discussion in 'Software' started by j1mgg, Feb 5, 2011.

1. j1mgg

j1mgg Kilobyte Poster

Just looking at dl hirens boot cd and was reading over the programs on it and was wondering is it a good cd to have as ammo or just a cd that can do about 5 different things but has 10s of programs for doing one of these things?

Certifications: Comptia A+, ITIL V3 Foundation, MCDST, 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: 70-291, security+ and SSCP
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I have used it, not very often I admit but I don't use my cordless Makita hammer drill that often these days. Do I still want to keep it, just in case.. sure 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Apoc220

Apoc220 Byte Poster

Hiren's is a great collection of software. It does offer multiple programs for basic functions, but is overall a great tool to have when in a pinch. That being said, you have to keep in mind that some of the programs in hiren's (like the norton ghost software) and licensed software that you would technically be using illegally. That's really the only negative about hiren's (to me at least)... other than that it's pretty sweet and has saved my rear a couple of times.

Certifications: MCDST
    WIP: 70-680
  4. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

so its worth having as part of your "IT toolkit"?

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  5. Gav

Gav Kilobyte Poster

I just looked into it, and it appears that it's changed since the earlier version as all the software on it now appears to be free/shareware. Previously, it contained Acronis/Norton and other paid for software.

Also have a look at www.ultimatebootcd.com