hiho!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Alex399, Oct 7, 2009.

1. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Hello!!!!

My name is Alex, I'm based in Dorset on the South Coast, last month I started the MCSE course consisting of A CompTIA A+ Certification, MCP Certification, MCDST Certification, MCSA Certification and finally a MCSE Certification.

The course is a distance learning programme through a company called Advent Computer Training and cost me £4950. Im currently plodding my way through a Introduction to computers book (for about the 3rd time....) consisting of around 300 pages and thoroughly enjoying it :D perhaps because I know the majority of the information in there already but there small bits of information here and there that are proving to be valuable knowlegde.

My course is estimated to be a duration of 2 years of 8 hours of home study a week and 14 class room days a year, I'm currently waiting for my CompTIA A+ study materials to come through so I can make a start on that.

Couldn't help but ask for your opinion on this people, would I stand a hope in hell of landing myself a Trainee/Junior IT Support Technician role or 1st Line Desktop Support Technician Role with all of the mentioned certs above?????
    If the answer would be know then I will be applying for the 2 year Networking college course Ive had my eye on recently

Ive had a little look around and you all seem like a freindly bunch and I look forward to being part of the community on here. :biggrin8)

Last edited: Oct 7, 2009
    WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

With ALL of the certs above? Very unlikely. Unfortunately, you've been sold a pack of training classes that don't match your experience level. The MCSA/MCSE are designed for people who have 6 months/1 year+ experience administering servers in a multi-site, multi-server, real-world business IT environment... not someone looking to get into IT. Getting those will make you horribly overcertified for your experience level... and that's not a good thing. Entry-level employers will pass you over because you're overcertified... and employers with jobs beyond entry-level will pass you over because you lack experience.

The A+ and MCDST are good certifications to have for entry-level jobs. To add to this, I would recommend the Network+ certification. That said, you don't need ANY of those to get an entry-level job - those certifications simply make your CV look more attractive to employers.

As mentioned above, I'd recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST to help you get your foot in the door... and certify no farther until you get some experience.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Alex399

Alex399 Byte Poster

Thank you for your reply Boson, I will look into taking the Comptia Networking+ Cert but as for getting my first entry level job it sounds like the biggest hurdle of them all and I expected it to be anyway, I assume HND and Masters in the IT Industry almost guarantee some kind of high level entry position providing you actually listen and study hard In the course instead of partying like mad the whole time and sitting in those lectures like a zombie in one ear straight out the other hahahaha :biggrin

Ill keep the topic narrowed down to me introducing my self anyhow. I welcome any tips for my given situation :)

WIP: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, not really. You don't need a Masters degree to be in IT at all. Masters degrees are typically for those who are looking to get into management... and it's hard to manage a field that you've never worked in. Those sort are typically the pointy-haired bosses (PHBs) that know the buzzwords but have no real clue about IT or how to implement it.

If you want to get into IT, there's no shortcut to the top. Certifications won't do it. Degrees won't do it. Training courses won't do it. A huge home lab setup won't do it. 18 years of "messing around with PCs", like I had, won't do it. The only way to the top is to start at the bottom with an entry-level job and work your way to the top, one step at a time... unless you've got an uncle who is an IT manager or CEO who is willing to take a chance on you.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!