Highest paid CERTIFICATION / qualification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fatp, Sep 30, 2007.

1. mattwest

mattwest Megabyte Poster

I agree... certs will get you noticed, will get you and interview (which is where you get the chance to shine) and may even get you a job.... but its during those first few months when it will really show if you havent got the knowledge or expereince to back it up...

And usually you have a 3 or 6 month "probabtion" where they can let you go with very little notice.

I'm not sure about certs which are worth the most in terms of money. I think CCIE ranks pretty highly.

My greatest achievements cert wise have been MCSE, CISSP and Prince2 and i also feel (along with ITIL) they hold the most value for me. (Wanting to go into IT management)....

Certifications: See my signature...
    WIP: Maybe re-certify my CCNA
  2. systempsyche

systempsyche Nibble Poster

I think its one of the security certs at the moment cissp or equivelant, but as previously said you gotta have experience and many other certs to compliment that.

Certifications: A+, network+, server+, mcdst, mcp, ccent
    WIP: mac integration, ACSP, ACTC
  3. jpowell79

jpowell79 New Member

What's XP+ ??

Never heard of it?

As a guess, is that when you pass every Comptia "+" qualification??

Certifications: A+, MCP2k Pro, MCP2k Server, CCNA, CCNP
    WIP: CCIE
  4. ExamsExpert David

ExamsExpert David New Member

5. The contractor

The contractor New Member

Hi, I just came across this forum and whilst I especially agree with those advising to choose a skill you enjoy because boy work life may be a long one right?! I also understand where this guys is coming from.

Ok he may not have a degree and doesn't want to spend several years studying for an under grad, post grad and then Phd. And I think that we all know that there are plenty of people who do a job that they don't love in a factory or office and for not much money?

I loved my first job but it just didn't pay and I spent my 20's seeing peole getting well paid and having comfortable lives, so I chose IT, why? Simply because it offered the potential of a well paid career without having a degree.

I spent 6 years in a permy job doing ok but I saw a constant stream of contractors coming and going earning boat loads. Now I'm a contractor, I don't love my job and I don't hate it but I will have paid my mortgage off in the next 12 months and may then go back to doing something else with out the pressure of paying the mortgage. I know of several others who used the opportunity to investe the contract earning wisely and now manage there own businesses or simply their portfolios, unfortunatley I haven't done quite that well ;-).

So I would say if you have a long term goal or plan, you don't have to love IT but can make it work for you. If this is what you then go for it, use the recession to skill up. Take any job you can using your skill of choice even if it pays peanuts to get some hard earned experience, make yourself available, nothings to much trouble attitude and work the extra hours to make what you do a success - it worked for me.

Skills wise the guys here were on the money by suggesting that you look at the itjobswatch website also try jobserve. Even in the recession the money is still with Oracle, SQL and databases in generally as company's guard their information and pay to do so, they also pay to streamline their businesses and save money so another great one is SAP.

Failing all of this I agree that if your going to spend you life in IT then definitely choose a skill that you'll really enjoy working with, best of luck with whatever you choose.