Highest paid CERTIFICATION / qualification

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by fatp, Sep 30, 2007.

1. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Hi All!

What is the IT/COMPUTING qualification that pays the highest (well paid) in terms of salary?
    What is the 'certification' with the highest employment and financial prospects?

Is it Microsoft, Cisco or Comptia?

I have been told it is an MCSE or an MCDBA!

Can anyone, Professionals or indsutry individuals, shed any light on this matter?

Paul D.

2. eternalangel

eternalangel Banned

good question, seems people dont like talking about money around here.

3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, fatp. I did a quick check on Google and found this:

http://www.itjobswatch.co.uk/

That said, never take a job just for the money. If you go to work hating life everyday, it's not worth it. Independant of how much it pays, what kind of IT role are you actually interested in and have an aptitude for?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. eternalangel

eternalangel Banned

web design development

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

The highest paid IT certification is XP+
    however it has very strict pre requisites and you wont be able to just walk in and achieve it over night
    it also has the benefit of being one of the few IT Certs you cant brain dump, which keeps losers away
    and due to the time commitments keeps those bottom feeders with no dedication out as well
    thus increasing the value over time of this highly sought after cert!

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

I just want to add that it's not really the cert that has value so much as the skills behind it. That is, you have to spend the time in study and getting the experience to learn the relevant skill sets. Without those, the cert is just a meaningless piece of paper.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

What qualification pays the highest? Experience. Certifications without experience won't help you make a boatload of money. You can go out and get every qualification out there... but they won't do you any good until you've actually worked in a real-life environment. Not the MCSE, not the MCDBA, not the CCIE, not the MCA.

Besides, if you enter a field for the money, you won't likely go very far. If you enter a field because you truly enjoy it, the money will come naturally.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I can vouch for that :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I agree, there is no one cert that will generate £££'s or $$$'s.

Where you work, who you work for, experience, certification, your position are all factors in the wage game. My mate who holds no certs, but is my counter part at another organisation earns a higher wage than me (see my sig for my certs). There is no really answer (imo) to this question, I earn more than than some, I earn less than others. In one case I have more certs than 1 person, in another case I have less certs than another and the same goes for experience.

You want to do a cert or qual to have the highest salary, then you might as well study 7 years and become a doctor.

But that's just my opinion :biggrin

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I'd reccomend an MSc or Phd in finance or work for Oracle or SAP for 5+ years ! :biggrin

Since when is IT all about the money ? Theres plenty easier ways to make a buck...

I know people into 6 digits with no quals whatsoever and they aren't in IT...

Plus its really not down to other people to tell you how to get rich, do your own research !

11. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Ideally you should never go for a job just because the money is good, it's always a consideration, but the main factor is go for the job because you think you would enjoy doing it and it would be interesting.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Everyone is right.

When I was at Uni, I was told that when I come out I would get a job in IT straight away and would expect at least 20-25k a year.

I now know thats a load of s*** now.

In most jobs experience and being good at what you do is what will get you the money, certs and qualifications can get you recognised against someone going for the same job who has none.

BUT NOTHING WILL BEAT EXPERIENCE AND THAT WILL GET YOU THE MONEY.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

Some good answers... some not so helpful.

I would like to put a 'spin' on my original question:

What is the IT qualification / certification with the highest 'recognition' / 'substance'? e.g. MCSE / CCNP?
    i.e. what is the 'phd' of the computing world?

14. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

sound advice, helpful! :D

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I agree with BM in a sense where experience is pretty much what your pay is dependent on. Sure you can extra certs that will give you a little bit of a higher pay, but no one is going to give you a big salary if you dont posses the necessary experience.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

My answer may not be very helpful to you...

It depends on the environment that you're in/going to work in. If you're going to work with Cisco kit/work in a Cisco environment, then the highest/most respected cert to gain would be the CCIE and not the MCSE. And vice versa, if you're going to be working/work in a Microsoft environment then (depending on your job role) the MCSE/MCSA would be the "highest" recognised and have the most substance.

At the moment I'm aiming for Chartered Status (MBCS CITP) offered by the BSC, the MCITP: EA & the MCITP: SA, as I believe that those quals/certs have the highest recognition & substance for where I want to go/develop to take the next step in my career, as they should validate my experience (technical as well as soft skills).

If you're looking at basics that is vendor-neutral and recognised across all environments (more or less, not including job roles like programming/DBA) then the A+, Network+ & Security+ would be the best bet.

p.s. the phd of the computing world would either be the PhD in Computing or MPhil in Computing (check your local Uni).

That's just my opinions

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  17. fatp

fatp Byte Poster

excellent ken, thats just what i was looking for.
    i'll do my own research further.
    thanks.

18. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You might also want to consider your own personal talents and desires. Even if say, a SAP administrator was the top of the heap, it wouldn't help you if you hated adminstering SAP. Take a look at what you want to do, what captures your interest in IT above all else, and then shoot for that.

19. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Ok well I agree with ken that obviously the Phd is the Phd, it really depends on your perspective, a Phd in other fields is either mandatory or makes a massive difference, I would say the same is far less true of the advance quals in comuter science in general.

I always tried to learn the hardest most techy stuff in the hope it would help me progress, while there is some value in this the world is a far more complex place, there are a number of competing factors in career progression as people have pointed out. First learn the fundamentals of your profession, then learn the other related skills.

Take for example David Beckham, is he in the top 5 highest paid footballers ? Yes, is he technically in the top five best footballers in the world ? Possibly no, he gets paid on the total package he brings to the table.

As we are always saying a Qual/Cert by itself means relatively little, it doesn't prove you can do the job, and unfortunately there are ways a small proportion of people scrape through without any real ability.

20. newkoba

newkoba Byte Poster

while i do not think that certs get you a high paying job, i saw a recent article here in the states based on what people which what certs were paid and as i can recall the CCIE was highest at 105k USD a year and second was CWSP at 95k USD a year.

hope that helps, but certs only help you get the door opened. if you don't have the skill set to back them up you will be in for a rude awakening.

Certifications: Security + and CEH
    WIP: CWNA and CWSP