High award received, but problems every year...

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Kitkatninja, Jan 7, 2009.

1. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Don't know if you guys/gals have heard about the NewYear Honours list?

DWP IT veteran John Priest awarded CBE

Veteran Department for Work and Pensions IT head John Priest has been awarded a CBE in the New Year's Honours list.

Priest is deputy strategic sourcing director for corporate IT at the DWP, and was nominated in recognition of his public and voluntary service.

Both his IT contribution within the DWP and his efforts in cross-government work were noted.

"I see this as recognition of the work done by those within the public sector commercial community," Priest said.

See here.

However do you agree with it? Considering that since 2004, there has been problems ever year with the DWP's IT Systems/projects...

2004, 2005, 2006, 2006, 2007, 2007, 2008, 2008, 2008.

This leads me to another 2 questions:

1. With the amount of Governments projects failing, should we be wanting to adopt Prince2 so readily? &
    2. If I over spend by millions, will I be awarded the CBE?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

I think the old Public sector "jobs for the boys" mentality is at play here.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Just this morning when I rang DWP they were having some problems ! :twisted:

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  4. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

I worked as IT admin for the DWP for over 5 years (well, around 2 of those years were as the Employment Service, which now makes up half of the DWP) and decided to get a real job. :biggrin

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  5. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I see this quite a lot within the MoD - some of the civil servants, old and young, and officers in the military shouldn't be allowed anywhere near ANYONE else let alone a computer - seriously complete &(£$)!

Its well known, that some of the people get their jobs purely because they went to school with someone else, or their dad was a senior bod - see a lot of family members etc. through our place and then onto other departments.

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Yes. Just because something is failing does not in any way mean it is PRINCE2 that is causing that failure. Who says that PRINCE2 was followed properly, if at all? PRINCE2 is only part of the equation in Project Management; when it comes down to what to do and how to do it, you're also looking at something like APMP.

If any project management, you need full undiluted buy-in from all stakeholders, including Board, customers and suppliers. If you don't have that, things fail.

GiddyG

(PRINCE2 Practitioner)

7. Kitkatninja

Prince2 is developed by the UK government and while I know that it is only part of PM (hence why I'm looking into the BCS/ISEB Project Management certs), if the UK Government is not using the "best practice" approach, what are they using?

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
  8. GiddyG

Government does use the OGC framework, and I never said they didn't. I use my skills in ITIL and PRINCE2 daily; however, using it doesn't necessarily mean all people will use it properly mate.

We are in danger of tarring all Government employees with the same brush. The majority are very good/good and do follow best practice.

9. Kitkatninja

How many millions of £'s will it take before the people involved with the projects begin to use it properly?

I'm not... I'm an ex-Government employee, my wife is a current one (and has been for the last 17 years) and a few of my relations and friends are Government employees.

-Ken

10. GiddyG

Some of the people Ken

Never intended to imply you were mate... which is why I didn't use You... :D and as a consequence of past employment and your wife's current employment, I'm sure you'll appreciate as much as I do how hard the majority do work.

11. Kitkatninja

Oh yes... :)

-Ken