Hiding NTFS Files

Discussion in 'Software' started by VantageIsle, Aug 22, 2008.

1. VantageIsle

VantageIsle Kilobyte Poster

Hi, probably a silly question but I it possible to hide NTFS files?

By that I mean the files are in a shared area/Folder but hidden from view if any other user was browsing the same folder.

eg.

Shared area drive x:

user1.doc
    user1.xls
    user1.txt

user2.doc
    user.xls
    user2.txt

user3.doc
    user3.xls
    user3.txt

For example could user2 hide their files so they were not visible to user1 and user3?

The reason I ask is I have to check if anyone is hiding any files on a shared drive for a customer. The boss of this site is conviced they are, but won't go into detail about the details.... sounds a bit sinister to me.:eek:

I will have full admin rights to the share, the suspect user has only a standard user account with access to some sensitive company content.

This has really intrigued me, and I'm not sure how I would check.

Anyone come accross this before, anyone have any ideas how to approach this?

many thanks

Certifications: A+, ITIL V3, MCSA, MCITP:EST, CCENT, 70-432-SQL, 70-401 SCCM
    WIP: MCSA upgrade MCITP:SA then EA
  2. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Just make hidden files viewable (open any folder - tools -> folder options -> View -> Hidden Files and Folders -> Show Hidden Files and Folders.

Also check permissions (Rightclick folder -> Security tab) and inherited ones too.

As far as I'm aware standard end users aren't able to restrict files/folders from other users outside of setting security permissions...

If you have full administrative rights then you should be able to see it all, just go digging. If said permissions screw up then replace ownership on the file/folder in question as your admin username (administrator/admin etc).

Hope this helps.

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  3. Crito

Crito Banned

... or use attrib -h *.* command.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  4. Crito

Crito Banned

Of course, they could still use NTFS' alternate data streams to hide a file within another file though.

http://www.securityfocus.com/infocus/1822
    not sure if that's the best explanation, was just first to pop up when I googled. The important info:

Certifications: A few
    WIP: none
  5. VantageIsle

Thanks guys, I was going to start with show hidden files and folders, but I needed to check if i was missing something else.

There is a trick where you can put files in a folder and change the icon to a blank symbol but I think you need admin rights on the machine you are doing this on... and anyway the folder will be still shown if you list the directory via the command prompt.

Thanks again.

6. VantageIsle

Missed this post (talking to the other half again)

Thanks, this looks very interesting. I'll give the article a read. Cheers :biggrin