Hide (not broadcast) SSID = my pcs also cant see SSID?

Discussion in 'Wireless' started by boots2k, Mar 21, 2008.

1. boots2k

boots2k Bit Poster

Assume 1 pc with wireless router.

2 other pcs with wireless receivers.

if all the pcs get internet fine and then i suddenly hide the SSID in the router, will the 2 pcs not see the ssid any more or becuase they now the settings they will still see the router?

thanks

WIP: MCDST
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

for the sake of two pcs, why not just try it?

I think that you will need to manually configure the pcs to connect to the AP once you hide the SSID, since at the moment they will be connecting automatically whenever they see the SSID, you need to explicitly tell them that the SSID is hidden, and to try connecting to it anyway.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Fergal is correct - hiding the SSID is much the same as changeing it - you will probably have to reconfigure all the machines that want to jolin that network.

But why do this? Hiding the SSID doesn't give you any more protection except to casual sniffers.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

..and it usually causes the connection between laptop/wireless card and access point to drop more frequently - don't bother! :)

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

hiding the SSID is pointless because it takes seconds to find it and it'll cause you problems because new and sometimes current machines wont see it. I tried it a while back and it caused more problems than it was worth.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree with the others, it's a myth that hiding the SSID adds any real kind of extra security and it does give you more hassle.

Set it up and enable WPA2 encryption, that will be sufficient for home use.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

QFT.

I have a WPA2-PSK setup, with a 63 character key, generated using this site. never had any issues.

Admittedly, I have to open the system occasionally (if I want to hook the DS up to the wireless, for instance). Roll on being able to have a wireless system where you can lock it down, but use the MAC to provide open access to specific devices at the same time.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I guess I'm the only one who doesn't have any hassles/drops with hidden SSIDs. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Yup, I hide the SSID as well. I configure it manually on my laptop and PC, no issues so far.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  10. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

i was fine with hiding mine until i added my shuttle to the network with a belkin wireless NIC. although i put it down to the NIC as its the first time.....and last time i use belkin because they are far too much hassle with the problems it caused.

Grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640
  11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I suggest you read this white paper Michael..

http://www.icsalabs.com/icsa/docs/html/communities/WLAN/wp_ssid_hiding.pdf

snippet

SUMMARY

12. BosonMichael

The computers on my home network always joined to the WLAN, and they do not roam. Thus, I have no problems.

Further, I don't think I need a lecture on the fact that a hidden SSID can indeed be seen by many apps - this isn't my first rodeo. :rolleyes: However, I thank you for the good intentions. :biggrin

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  13. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

But that was my reason for posting the white paper, if you had read it you would know that the computers do not need to actually roam from AP to AP.

Here's another egg to suck from my previous link..

edit.. a bit more info..

14. BosonMichael

But... dude... you're not listening. My wireless PCs don't roam. They sit - in fact, one's a desktop. And they're not blocked by anything that would cause interference. Signals are strong, and they stay strong. Thus... I have no problem with wireless access behavior. I don't. Really, I promise. :)

15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

If you setup your wireless with no SSID broadcast, like others mentioned, you'll have to add the connection manually. However from past experience I never really had any issues with that.

My setup is basically WPA-PSK. I woud use WPA2 but the ipod touch does not support WPA2. Then I have MAC filtering to only allow the PC's with that specific MAC address that I added to the list plus the hidden SSID.

All this aside, I know that hiding SSID does not do much, it can very easily be found. On the second note I wanted to set this up for practice because I was doing a wireless setup at my friends house and he wanted the max possible securuty.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Prof

MAC filtering is useless as well - you can sniff a MAC address, change the MAC you are using to that one and run a deauth against the AP in about 30 seconds flat.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  17. BosonMichael

It IS useless... against a knowledgeable user trying to connect to your WLAN. But it's better than having no MAC filtering at all - it's simply another step to dissuade the casual, average, uninformed user. It certainly doesn't hurt anything to enable it.

18. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I do disbale SSID and enable MAC address flitering. OK, they're fsr from perfect... but let 'em go for someone they can see, and who probaby has little or no security on their WLAN anyway... :D

19. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

boots2k,

Due to my enrollment in the Cisco Networking Academy's "Fundamentals of Wireless LANs" course, I am unable to "just assume" anything.

Questions:
    1. Is this the "network map" of your network?
      1. Internet
        1. Internet access networking device (modem)
          1. Wireless Router
            1. Wired
              1. PC
            2. Wireless
              1. PC
              2. PC
    2. Which make and model is the wireless router?
    3. Which wireless standard(s) does the wireless router use?
    4. Which authentication method does the wireless router use?
    5. What make and model wireless network adapter(s) do the wireless PCs use?
    6. Which wireless standard(s) do the wireless network adapter(s) for the wireless PCs use?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  20. BosonMichael

Exactly... "I don't have to be able to outrun the tiger... I just have to be able to outrun you." 8)