hiddin login time batch file

Discussion in 'Networks' started by mallet, Aug 16, 2009.

1. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Unfortunately, one of my IT admin colleagues has put some kind of file possibly a batch file that everytime I login into my system, it marks something on the file or lets the admin user know what day and time and I have logged on. This is some what annoying as the first thing I need to do when I get into the office is login into my pc. no time for going to the toilet in the morning then :dry

The reason for this was so, he can track if I have come in late but I have only done that 3 times in the past 8 months. And I only live a few miles away from the office. I do get interrogated by him if I havent logon on the pc which has happens now and then :cry:
    Hes not a bad person in any way and has got me out of sticky situations with helping users before. but I just wish he didnt treat me like this. I have done the obvious and asked him polity to remove the offending file but no go. I dont think his intentions is to ever remove the file.
    which then goes onto the next bigger question... where do I start looking for this file? And in what part of directory?

As a IT admin myself, is there a way to counter this frustration?
    Thanks for anyone taking part on this.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hi mallet,

I have 2 suggestions for you rather than a technical solution. Sometimes I've found the answer isn't always technical. 1st you could speak to your manager about it. If this chap is on the same level as you he shouldn't have the right to keep tabs on you (unless maybe your boss has asked him to do it...?). My second solution is to get in on time and log on immediately, after all what use is an IT admin if he's not logged on?

Just my opinion, hope you get it sorted.

Jim

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

If it's a file, two ways spring to mind - check your user account under login script and check out that file or check out the OU that you're in (it may also be in a parent OU) and check out the login script there.

But then again, you're assuming that he is using a file (script or .bat file), he may be using the auditing feature in AD, if that's the case then it'd be in the Event Viewer.

Saying that there may be a 3rd party utility that is being used to track users, and that could be anything/anywhere...

Instead of logging on/off, you could just log in on Monday and then lock the PC when you go home and then only log off on Friday. Saying that I'm assuming that no-one else uses you're PC and that there isn't a file/program/script that shuts down the PC in the evenings :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Is he your manager? If he isn't - tell him to stop doing it or you'll report him to your manager. If he is - suck it up - it's part of his job to monitor your attendance.

As part of our login script I run logon and logoff times of users, recording them in a daily text file for management use. Of course, this never catches me, because I never log off :)

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

This was my other worry. it just sounds out of character for him to force himself to go to some lengths on doing this but. I will need to be a bit cautious about this.

I was planning on leaving my pc locked but there are times when other IT admins user other pcs including mine. so afraid I cant do that.
    Thanks for the tip on the login script. I practically recreate user roaming files every week and didnt think to look into that server folder before.

he is pretty much the same level as me. he has no manager level clearance that I am aware of. I wouldnt even dare do this if he were my manager. the risk of losing my job is the last thing I want.

Thanks guys for the tip. I will defo let everyone what happens monday afternoon.

-Mallet

6. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Just lock your PC. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

well, today was an interesting day. I was expecting some kind of file on the profile servers. but found nothing there. Then my interest went into wagnerk suggestion which was the event viewer. this looks likes what my colleague was using. as you can connect to any pc through computer management and choose which program you want to use. And I simply cleared the event. however, should I put a filter to counter the login event?
    As I need a permanent way of clearing the log rather then me each time going into event viewer.

And did he ask me if I was on time? yes, but he didnt know what time exactly :biggrin
    something inside me is saying not to tell the manager. I dont know if its the amount of times he has helped me or not. Or if he is keeping this happy go lucky face and taking advantage of others? hes is not someone that just helps me, he helps out other people doing major IT projects. But he cant be excuse of this, can he?

-Mallet

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry - don't understand.

Either this guy is responsible for monitoring your timekeeping in which case it is not for you to seek ways to undermine or disable any methods he has of doing so. You just need to accept it and get to work on time.

Or, it has nothing to do with him and so it doesn't matter what he is or isn't monitoring. If he's putting scripts on the server without both your line manager's permission then he should be given a b0ll0cking.

And if you can't find the script, how do you know it's there?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

Sorry my bad. describing this is hard. as its the first time where something like this has happen to me at work before. it just leads to more and more question which I am getting tired of TBH. but it has given me a clear understand where I stand in all this though. seems trust in companys means jack. period.

it was a suggestion about the batch files as this guy lives on them and spends most of his day with them. I dont know if he does use them or not on this occasion.

Again, thanks for everyone helping me out on this. really really appreciate it :thumbleft

-Mallet

10. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

you do know that clearing the audit log will replace it with an entry saying 'this log was cleared by x user on x date and x time'
    if he was to show tihs to your manager, it would appear as though you have something to hide!?

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  11. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sorry, still not with you.

Is this guy responsible for monitoring your timekeeping or not?

Is he just a colleague who has become sucked off by your poor timekeeping and is trying to report you?

Does he just not like you and is winding you up?

The question doesn't make much sense without a context.

12. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Like Jonny, I'm still not getting it. IS the guy your manager, or ISN'T he? Like I said early on in the thread - if he is, then tough - he's just keeping an eye on your timekeeping - which is part of his job. If he isn't, then tell him to sod off and mind his own business - or you'll start talking to his manager about aspects of the way he does his job that you don't like.

Oh - and just because he knows how to write a batch file doesn't make him some kind of guru. My nephew has written a batch file to restart services on his PC. He's ten.

14. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Personally, I'd go to my line manager and say something like "I believe you have concerns about my timekeeping"
    If there are concerns, at least it's all out in the open and you can discuss it. You could also ascertain whether interrogating you is part of this guys brief. In my opinion that should be done by management. This guy shouldn't even have access to your log on times if he's not your superior.
    If your manager doesn't know anything about it then this guy is guilty of invading your privacy and, I would imagine, violating company policy as well. Whatever his motives are, and I can't think of any good ones, it needs to be dealt with asap before it escalates.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  15. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

he is not my manager. and he not responsible for monitoring me. I dont think he hates me. But I do think he is trying to wind me up in a very bad way. I have told him many times to just leave it but his responses was 'no'. I am not sure it is because I was late on those 3 occasions when I did phone up the office to say I was going to be late which was by 5mins late at best. seem over kill to you?

this seems like a good idea. I was planning on doing this as a final resolution to clearing this up and taking it from there.

-Mallet

16. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

In that case, the guy is a *****. Tell him to shut up and mind his own business next time he does it. Alternatively, talking to your manager about it would be a good idea - ask him for a quiet word, and tell him that this tool is taking the p*** out of you - you don't want him to make a big deal about it, but ask him to have a quiet word with him. Nobody should be 'watching the clock' as far as your attendance is concerned other than you line manager.

Personally, I would take the more direct approach - tell him to shut it and mind his own beeswax, but not everyone is as confrontational as me :)

17. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I'm with Zeb, all the previous help is wiped out by this **** like behaviour.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  18. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Sounds like he's just a t0$$pot then.

Nobody likes a snitch.

19. Luddym

Luddym Megabyte Poster

With Zeb on this one too.

I've had this type of thing before, but to be honest, monitoring to me, regardless of who is doing it, is totally irrelevent. As long as I get on with my job, be in on time etc etc etc, I personally couldn't care less.

I'd would politely ask my manager if they'd like me to fill out timesheets though, and see where the conversation goes.

Certifications: VCP,A+, N+, MCSA, MCSE
    WIP: Christmas Drunkard
  20. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If he's not your manager and he's doing this in the hopes of riling you off, it's illegal and there's a word for it; mobbing.

Know your employee rights and bring this up with HR and your manager(s).

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM