HI

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by jamolfc23, Jan 11, 2011.

1. jamolfc23

jamolfc23 New Member

Hello all,

Im new to the site and it would be good to get some expert advice on some courses.

Just spoke with a man from the National Learning IT learning centre about a course that I would be interested in doing, it is the Technical & Systems Engineer Course.

Is there anybody on here that is in the process of doing it or compleded the course? He said after a few months I would be ready for employment? don't get me wrong Im not naive and Im not no computer genius so is this information likely to be true? obviously i would have to put my own hard work into it and study and visit workshops etc.

Would just like to no your opinions on these types of Company's and courses

Thanks people

2. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

In a word, no. Sure you'll be 'ready' for employment but you can't just walk into an IT job without any experience.

Most people will tell you to Self-Study as will I. It's cheaper, £25 odd for MS Press books and you could get video tuition in the form of CBT Nuggetts if you so wish (but for a lot more).

Get a home lab going if you can get hold of some old computers, play about with the settings, understand the concepts and go through the exercises in the Press books.

First of all though I'd look into getting some experience, be it voluntary or low paid, then take entry level certs to back-up what you've learnt in the real world. No harm in going for these certs but don't over do it before you have the relevant experience.

Phil.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  3. jamolfc23

jamolfc23 New Member

Thanks Phil thats good advice, Were would you recommend getting the experience be it voluntary or low paid?

Cheers Jay

4. Phil182

Phil182 Nibble Poster

Look for apprenticeship schemes in your local area, or colleges offering NVQ's in IT.

IMO it's the best way to get into IT and shows your willingness to learn and progress. Usually the placement will last the term of the course so don't finish it too quickly, the longer you drag it out the more experience you'll have come CV writing time.

Hope that helps,

Phil.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP 70-271, NVQ IT Practitioner
    WIP: MCTS: SQL Server 2008
  5. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Welcome to the forum.

Certifications: A few.
  6. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  7. reddevil12

reddevil12 Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF :D

Certifications: a+
    WIP: 70-270 / 70-680
  8. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for self study. But the choice is up to you.

Welcome! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!