HI!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by mickeylove, Dec 13, 2010.

1. mickeylove

mickeylove New Member

Hey all!

I was hoping for some advice on Where I can source some classroom qualifications around the Wigan area? I've been involved in and around the IT industry for over 8yrs, and was now hoping to gain a qualification. I have the opportunity to join a local course doing an MCTS in windows 7, and was wondering how relevent this qualification is?

Thanks guys!

Michael

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Well the MCTS and MCITP are the replacements for the soon to be retired MCDST just that the exams focus and Vista and windows 7. Basically the MCTS is what you get instead of MCP when you pass one of the exams i.e windows 7 but to get the MCITP you have to pass the vista one too.

Not sure about courses in your area have a look at your local colleges. A lot of people on here self study (that is get the books and study yourself then take the exams) but if a course is more your thing look at your local colleges.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
    Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  4. mickeylove

mickeylove New Member

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ive tried the home learning route, and found i'm more distracted by colours, shapes and sounds than i realised! Unfortunately, it looks like I'll be going down the classroom route! Is it a worthwhile? as Its comes in at 300 pounds without the exam! I think what I'm basically saying, is it a good starting point, or for the money should I be aiming for a course that would yield a more respectable qualification? Theres so many to choose from, and I'm not sure which order to approach them!

Thanks for the welcome, and advice! :D

5. greenbrucelee

It depends on what you do and what you work with.

There are certs for people who want to get into IT and certs for people who already work in IT.

If you work with windows xp then I would say do the MCDST but be aware that the MCDST retires in March so you would need to do the exams by then. If you work with windows 7 however then do the the windows 7 exam.

it really depends on what you do or what you want to do or how you would like to try and make your career progress.

what do you actually do?

6. mickeylove

mickeylove New Member

I work with EPOS (tills). I'm a field service engineer, but I'm looking to maybe move into another industry. The bar trade is dead, and I'm getting sick of being laid off! Most companies are looking for a bit of networking and server knowledge to go with your basic windows experience, but with so much choice, i cant decide? The only course avaliable at my local college at the moment is the MCTS. I just missed out on the CCNA by 2 weeks!

7. greenbrucelee

See this is where there is a lot ambiguity because a lot of professional people would say that college shouldn't be teaching the CCNA to people who are not already in that career field. Not many employers will let someone loose on their network if they have no experience regardless of the cert they have.

Unfortunatley in IT and especially in networking experience is king, you could have all the certs in the world but with no experience it would only be a very dumb network manager that would hire you.

If you want to working networking then there is no easy route, you start at the bottom and work your way there. So you may have to start of in 1st line support or as a trainee IT technician. From what I have seen in the industry your going to get more experience starting of as a IT tech and with you having EPOS experience behind you this could put you in good stead.

what I would suggest certification wise is compTIA A+, Network+ and the MCDST or MCTS (or you could do both).

Beaware though that if you want to be A+ and N+ certified for life then these exams need to be passed by Dec 31st otherwise you have to renew them every three years (like the CCNA) but before you panick once most people get those certs they move onto Microsoft certs and in the UK they are more recognised but the compTIA certs will help you build a solid foundation.

If I were still doing the A+ and N+ and had to renew them every three years I wouldn't bother as I would be more focused on the Microsoft certs.

The MCDST retires in March but it based on supporting XP and most companies still use XP and will do for many years to come. If you do not fancy the compTIA certs I would recommend knocking out the MCDST before it retires then do the windows MCTS upgrade in Windows 7.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Self study is certainly a much cheaper method of preparing for certification exams, but if you want to take a classroom training course, by all means, do so. Only you are going to know for sure whether the increased cost is going to be worth it to you.

I agree with what's been said regarding higher-level certifications. Certifications alone will not automagically qualify you to do certain IT jobs. Like GBL recommends, you should pursue the A+, Network+, and Microsoft client administrator (MCDST on XP, MCTS/MCITP on Vista and Win7) certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. mickeylove

mickeylove New Member

Thanks for all the great advice guys! I will definitely be taking it all on board! This is basically what I've been asking various people for months, without getting a straight answer! Just to think Icame across this site by accident too!?!

You might be seeing a bit more of me around here!

10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I hope so. The best way to pay back good advice is to be around to give some advice of your own when someone else is in need. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!