Hi!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ryles, Sep 7, 2010.

1. Ryles

Ryles New Member

Hi guys, just thought I'd say 'ello.

Been a Cert forum user for some time now but never bothered to actually register or post! Passed my A+ and BTEC Quals in August thanks to help from this forum and now I have a question...

Currently looking for entry level jobs, ideally something hands on but likely to end up with a 1st line telephone support which is fine but I'm finding a lot of the adverts are asking for experience with things like Microsoft Server and Exchange along with Active Directory knowledge .

Now while I know of these products I probably wouldn't stand up to much during an interview so my questions is this: Is there any way I can replicate a client/server environment at home
    in order to get some experience of these systems? Maybe using VM ware or trial software? Any ideas?

Also is AD soley found in Exchange??
    Cheers
    Ryles

Certifications: Comptia A+, BTEC Level 2, Cisco IT Essen
    WIP: Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MCTS
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Welcome

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/default.aspx

£160 for a technet subscription, well worth it. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

You can create a client/server environment at home... and you can certainly get some hands-on familiarity and knowledge of the systems... but you can't truly get the experience that employers are looking for. Still, something is better than nothing.

Although you can certainly apply for server admin jobs, you will be competing against people who DO have that experience. As such, you won't likely land one of those jobs without first getting your feet wet in IT. Not saying you shouldn't apply for those jobs... just saying that you'll be a longshot at best, particularly considering the current employment market.

Instead, I'd recommend that you pursue entry-level jobs, including, but not limited to, help desk tech, call center tech, field service tech, PC repair tech, 1st line tech, and sometimes, desktop support tech. Other certifications that might come in handy for you include Network+ and MCDST.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Ryles

Ryles New Member

thanks for the tips, can't afford a technet sub atm but a 3 month trial of Server 2008 should help :)

Certifications: Comptia A+, BTEC Level 2, Cisco IT Essen
    WIP: Cisco CCNA, Microsoft MCTS