Hi

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by blackshuck, Dec 15, 2004.

1. blackshuck

blackshuck New Member

Just to introduce myself before I start asking questions, I've recently been made redundant at age 49 and am looking to get back into computing after 12 years working mainly as a Telephony Engineer. I'm considering the best way to attain CCNA certification , as a first step, after narrowly escaping from being signed up by a certain training company!

Cheers

Nigel

2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Let me be the first to welcome you to CF, take a look around feel free to ask any questions you may have.

Oh and a merry xmas to you.

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Phil
    Honorary Member

Phil Gigabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSE:M & S MCSA:M CCNA CNA
    WIP: 2003 Upgrade, CCNA Upgrade
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Welcome from me too :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi blackshuck and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Nigel from me too :D

Good to see you've used the redundancy to take a positive step - wishing you all the best on the CCNA path !

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, blackshuck. Lest you think you are the oldest person around here, I've got you by a year. I had to go through the career change thing about 5 years back and am now gainfully employed as a technical writer for a software company.

I trained for my CCNA by enrolling in Cisco's netacademy program. It was a bit pricey but it really helped to be able to train with certified Cisco trainers on their own equipment. Most of the material is online but if you prefer to also work with textbooks and engineering journals, they are also available.

I know that some colleges offer the netacademy courses for a reasonable fee but that's on my side of the pond. I don't know what's how it's offered in the UK.

Glad you made it to certforums. Hope we can be of some help in your transition. Cheers.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there blackshuck, welcome to Certforums. Good luck with the CCNA! Just to let you know, I went the Net Academy route for my CCNA, and paid in the region of 1200 pounds (sorry, no pound sign on these canadian keyboards [​IMG])

Expensive i know, but you have the benefit of being able to work in a lab full of cisco gear, and a teacher to run anything you don't understand past. I would recomend the Net Academy route, if it's affordable to you.

Anyway, just thought I'd say hello, and add my 2p to what trip said. Welcome :!:

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  9. blackshuck

blackshuck New Member

Many thanks to all for the welcome! . :D

10. Peter

Peter Byte Poster

A big welcome from me to.[​IMG]

Certifications: Elec & Eelc Eng A+
    WIP: CCNA-CCNP