Hi

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Rog, Jul 3, 2008.

1. Rog

Rog New Member

Just thought I would say hello as I have been reading this forum with interest. I just started the CIW Foundations course and was looking for something just like this. There were a couple of questions I had in mind:

1) I see the official CIW site sells Self-Study kits which are a lot less than i am paying for my course, presumably the extra cost is the tutoring I will be receiving. I was a bit perplexed by some comments I came across that said there were some restrictions on buying these, ie they don't send to the UK. Am I right in thinking this?

2)How have people got on just with self-study ? I was thinking of saving myself some money and doing the next stage of Site-Designer just with a self-study pack. Anyone done that? Presumably I would have to find some way of obtaining them in the UK...hmm...ebay was mentioned, and then fork out for the exam...

Anyways, that's all for now. Thanks for making this site folks :)

2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome :)

I don't know anything about CIW but if you were self studying you could create your own portfolio for when you are applying for jobs.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Rog

Rog New Member

Hi there :)

Yes I was thinking of doing that too, I had seen a few people mention that this may be a good approach. My trouble is I know a lot of the HTML, css and even php but I have to go through a 'foundations' course before I get to any serious design work. Oh well, can't hurt to learn new things, but I think you are right about the portfolio. Thanks for the welcome.

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

No problem, someone will come along at some point who will know more than I.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF!

I did the self study route and got through it Ok? well..........passed!
    From what i said in some of my other posts, is that you really have to learn from book's and CD's that relate to CIW in someway. You can't just learn CSS, (x)html, flash and photoshop and think that's enough to pass the exams. It will be enough to start producing a portfolio though and go for that job we all want, but there's more to it then that with regards to passing an exam, as you no doubt know.
    Look on the CIW web site and look at their requirements and go from there. If you are already in I.T or are computer literate, than that's half the battle. Learning CSS/XHTML the right way with regards to Accessibility and Usability is also a major step in the right direction.

All the best

Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  6. Rog

Rog New Member

I'm glad to hear you passed. There seems to be less I know in the 'foundations' part, mainly Networking and all the stuff about protocols, so I might be best being tutored on that one. But the Designer one looks more like the kind of thing I have done before. I agree, you have to be aware of things like Accessibilty too, luckily I learnt a lot of my HTML from places that adopt modern methods - like not using tables for layout, using css properly and so on.

Thanks for the advice :)

7. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Yer Networking!......that's where i came unstuck a bit when i took my foundations exam. Probably because it was the last module i studied and because i was in a rush to pass, i booked my exam a bit premature. You definitely need to brush up on that side of things.

Neil

Certifications: CIW Professional
  8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. Rog

Rog New Member

Yeah, I think I am going to have to spend most time on that. Some of the other stuff is like second nature, especially the part about browsers, but putting what I know into words I find strangley difficult at times, so I am glad it's multiple choice.

Hi Prof, thanks for the welcome :)

10. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  11. Rog

Rog New Member

Howdy, thanks for the welcome :)

12. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Just a quick FYI, JavaScript and Perl play some significant roles in the CIW Website Design Manager course. Depends which level of CIW you're going for I guess. Good luck.

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  13. MickyBobs

MickyBobs Nibble Poster

Im doing the Web design manager course through skills train via scheidegger, just look out for the skills train ad on telly, im doing the self study option, paid monthly, about 70 a month!

WIP: Hoping to gain