Hi,

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by popeye67, Oct 26, 2007.

1. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

Just quick first post to say hi. And I'm sure I'll be coming here for information and advice.

My experience is 1st / 2nd line support for SME of upto 100 users on single, including server hardware and software installations, support, organizing backup / restore strategies and disaster recovery LAN architecture (3com) and so on . My experience is quite broad ranging from AIX, Mac OS X servers to Legato Networker backup and recovery. Hardware troubleshooting didn't pose any problems whatsoever in the past.

I'm about to start getting certifications and focusing on more indepth knowledge that will allow me to move onto bigger projects preferably moving to technical project management.

I am thinking of taking either CCDA or CCNA. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Depending on your level of knowledge, I would recommend starting off with the Network+ as this will give you a great solid foundation on which to build the higher Networking exams/courses on.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Another vote for starting with Network+.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome

Good advice given.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

Started with Network+ as it seems to be general consensus that its good starting point.

Q : How much difference is there between pre and post 2005 exams ?

Only found 2001 book which seems quite good to put formal structure to otherwise very dispersed knowledge.

Regards

7. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  8. Rob1234

Rob1234 Megabyte Poster Forum Leader

Welcome to CF

Certifications: A few.
  9. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Hi Popeye and welcome to CF. I did have a look on CompTIA's website as there used to be a PDF file showing the differences between the 2001 and 2005 objectives for the N+ but it doesn't seem to be available now. Best advice would be to get the 2005 book I think.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Network+ is a good start. :thumbleft

Welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Popeye. Welcome to CertForums. :)
    [​IMG]

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  12. popeye67

popeye67 Bit Poster

lol, nice one.

network + seems to be pretty easy. the only stuff that I've found that I have problem with mock tests are things like cable lengths and couple of errors on trainsignal training video. ie 'you need 3 disks to implement raid 0'

will probably take the test next week.

Thanks for warm welcome :)