HI

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by leosdelsol, Sep 11, 2007.

1. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Hi all im Leo im 22 and from Scotland.Im just starting a new course at college after heading down a career path that just wasnt for me.The course im going to be doing is Hnc computer Networking.Along with the Hnc the college has included Cisco training for the CCNA free of charge and after my first year I should be half way to gaining this qualification:) But my lecturer was also explaining that i could do my Microsoft Certification exams for XP pro aswell at a price of £48 per test? I was just wondering if anyone had any advice on things I shouldnt/should be doing to make life easier for myself and are these qualifications as good and as in demand as i have been told?
    cheers all leo

Certifications: HND Computer networking, 70-271
    WIP: A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

If you don't have IT experience, then the Cisco exams aren't likely to help you much. After getting some basic, entry-level certifications, get an entry-level IT job so you can start building the real-world experience that all employers want. After you've built up experience, THEN start going after some of the more advanced certifications.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome and I agree with Micheal. 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Hi Michael thanks for the advice.What basic, entry-level certifications would you recommend ? And if on the other hand I did continue with my course and got my degree,ccna etc what job would I realistically be able to get? Im confused as i thought having my degree i would be able to get my foot in the door and build from a medium level job.I did know that i wouldnt jump into the deep end because i have limited at best "real" world experience but i was hoping to start at a better level than entry?:(
    cheers leo

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unfortunately it doesn’t work that way mate, the last job advertised at my work had hundreds of people applying with an HNC or a degree. My first fulltime job in IT was working on a helpdesk and I had spent 6 years at uni getting an MSc! :ohmy

Don’t let this put you off though, if you can pick up some entry level certs such as the A+, Network+ and MCDST you can then push for an entry level job. After that you start climbing the IT ladder!

Best of luck! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. BosonMichael

A+, Network+, and MCDST are what I typically recommend. But don't wait until you've gotten these... start applying as soon as possible (meaning, NOW).

If you got your degree, CCNA, etc... unfortunately, you would realistically be able to get an entry-level job. Your degree and certifications would only help set yourself ahead of other entry-level candidates (who also don't have any real-world experience) who do not have a degree and certs.

That said... the CCNA won't really help you get an entry-level job because entry-level jobs don't involve working with Cisco devices.

It is extremely difficult to get a mid-level job with no experience, even with degrees and certifications... because you'll be competing against people who have what employers are looking for MORE than degrees and certs... and that's EXPERIENCE. Not just lab experience... or hands-on experience... but real-world experience in a real-world business environment, with real-world data and real-world users and real-world crises. Education and training and certifications are great... but the theoretical knowledge will only take you so far; experience is absolutely required to get a more advanced position.

Everyone starts at the bottom... but nobody said you have to stay there forever. The training you receive in your degree program and certification studies will certainly help you to advance faster. But will it grant you a free pass up the IT career ladder? Unfortunately, no.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I know what you mean BM; however, my 16 year old son is doing CCNA in 6th form at school, along with ICT A Level. The school has a guy who works with CISCO kit to come in and talk to them about careers in a couple of months.

I just wonder if some companies out there do actually see CCNA as 'entry level'...

9. BosonMichael

Just because schools offer the CCNA doesn't mean companies will hire because of it. All of the companies who used to think of the CCNA as entry-level got burned by hiring certified folks without experience, who subsequently couldn't do the job because they had never worked on networks in the "real world"... only in a lab environment. Thus, the overwhelming majority of businesses no longer hire for highly-technical jobs (such as ones where you would work with Cisco devices) based on certification alone.

10. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Again, I don't disagree with what you say...

I just wonder if the schools or the local education authorities are working with UK based companies out there who will take these lads on and give them the 'real world experience' to add to the qualification. My 16 year old is in Cornwall (south west England). I have a mate whose son is in the Midlands, and he is being offered CCNA at school too.

Should be interesting to see what happens. Apparently, they have to do the theory before they let 'em near the actual kit.

11. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

Thanks michael and wizard for your replys.Ive already jacked in one course already so i think il see this one through since i still qualify for free tuition etc:rolleyes: i know it doesnt seem to make sense really but i dont wanna be 25 and need to pay for every bit of my education through loans etc...... so if i was to get an entry level job what kind of money would i be looking at?and what kind of position? many thanks guys for giving it to me straight

12. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

and i also meant to ask Sparky what job position are you in now?how long did it take for you to get to this point in your career? and also if you dont mind me asking how old are you? im
    just trying to build a picture of were i would be likely to be at such and such an age etc

13. BosonMichael

I can tell you the positions generally available without experience, but I won't be able to tell you the salary you should expect - that depends on your area, and what companies are willing to pay for that level of skill.

Entry-level jobs include, but are not limited to:

- help desk
    - desktop support
    - PC repair
    - field service tech

14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Well I graduated in 2002. Fast forward to today and I look after 40 odd networks (more are being added each month) and I get involved in various network installations and consultancy projects.

Currently I’m trying to reconfigure a network we have inherited that has 8 sites and 8 domains, no reason for this so need to try and connect it all, should be fun! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

so am guessing that your first job was your first "real" experience after coming out of uni? If so in theory you just have to wait until you have got some time under your belt and more experience and then climb the ladder???.and if you dont mind me asking what kid of money were you first earning?

16. BosonMichael

Yep. I had 18 years of "personal, non-business experience" messing around with computers, and was the go-to guy for computer problems for 6 years at my job before I got my first "real" IT job, making $11/hr ($22K/year) as a field service tech. So even with all that personal knowledge of computers, I started at the bottom, just like everyone else. I rose up the ladder pretty fast due to my knowledge and ability... but I had to start at the bottom and build the experience just like everyone else has to.

17. leosdelsol

leosdelsol Banned

yeah it sounds fair as "real" knowledge is more critical and more useful than just theory alone many thanks for your answers once again :D