Hi Y'all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Jada, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

Hi ppl,

Just here introducing myself as am new to this forum. I've graduated with an Electrical/Electronic Eng. degree last year but I’ve decided to switch to IT. Although my background is not IT I have some knowledge of C/VB/Java. Am a bit confused as to which career track to choose; Network Engineer or a Webmaster. The courses am thinking about doing, which is provided by SkillsTrain, are either; MCSE/MCSA, CISCO certs or CIW Web Design Master. Can anyone advise me.

TIA

Jada™

WIP: A+, N+
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Welcome to CF jada! :biggrin

I suppose that which direction to take depends on where you interests lie. Do you enjoy building websites?

Whilst I have not had any personal involvement with the provider you mention, I know that there are those here who have, and they will no doubt be along shortly to say hi.

Something for you to think about though will be the cost of the training, for what will essentially be self learning (I'm assuming, before being told I'm wrong!) it may cost you a lot more than it would were you to self study. Just something more to think about.

8)

3. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF!! like simon said have you considered self-study?

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Jada. Welcome to CF. Why is your forum name trademarked?

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Jada :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

My immediate reaction to this sentence is why? Why put in all that hard work to get a degree in one field and then decide to change careers into another field where you know very little?

Welcome to CF btw :D

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

Cause am special :D

Ok firstly a jump from Electronics to IT is not a huge step neither is it impossible. Doing the degree was probably the biggest mistake I have made - I just feel I have wasted three years. IMO Uni is pointless. Anywayz am prepare to start from the bottom & with hardwork and dedication am sure I'll get to were I wana be.

After much consideration my aim will be to do A+ & N+, after that I'll review on where to go. Having read many posts there are quite a number of ppl that have 'Self-taught' themselves. The Michael Meyers book seems to be very popular. Anyone got any other books for A+,N+?

Thanks peeps,

Jada™

9. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I never said it was impossible, I have done it myself but I would say it is a huge step.

The knowledge you have gained doing the degree will help you at the A+ (hardware) level but it doesn't really give you much of an edge after you have moved on from there. For example, I never removed the case of a server or workstation throughout the entire 3 years I spent studying for MCSE.

There is just as much to learn about computers and networking as there is to learn about electrics/electronics and there is not really that much crossover IMHO.

10. Jada

Jada Bit Poster

Am well aware of that Blue, but what i meant was its not like a switch from Zoology to IT. I have some basic knowledge that will be useful.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Just trying to help Jada, as I have been there and done that. I decided to switch to IT after 30 years from industries where my electronics qualifications were of paramount importance. It can be done, I just feel your degree will not be utilised as much :rolleyes:

Good luck in whatever you decide to pursue!

12. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  13. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome aboard. Good luck with whatever road you choose :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT