Hi, where do I start?

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by AshGrant, Mar 31, 2009.

1. AshGrant

AshGrant New Member

Hi,

I'm new to forums and although I have been searching all over them I'm still not 100% on where to start.

Firstly, I best introduce myself, I'm currently and have been the past 10 years, a member of HM Forces, but want to leave and get a more settled job, where I can at least live at home and see my family every night.

My interests are of course IT, but I also enjoy adventurous training, such as skiing and diving as well as all the normal stuff like movies etc etc, I'm also a big dog lover, in particular Staffordshire bull terriers (you don't get dangerous dogs, just dangerous owners).

I want to do a few entry level courses to get a few qualifications, this along with my experience in the Army as a Communications Systems Operator (Mostly radio communications, but some basic IT/Networking is included, as well as some help desk user support) and my personal use of computers as the 'family and friends expert' should stand me in good stead for an entry level job in IT.

Anyway I'm writting a massive wall, I don't want to go on with my questions, as this is meant to be a hello, I might re-post the later half of this post in the training and development section of the forums.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

A few good entry level certs in IT would be the Comptia A+ & Network+, and the Microsoft MCDST, MCTS in Vista and the MCAS in Vista.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Metalstar

Metalstar Kilobyte Poster

Hello and Welcome to CF

Certifications: A+
    WIP: Network+
  4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Welcome:)

I agree with Ken

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Welcome aboard.

Ken has given you some great advice the only thing I would add would be if you enjoy hardware more do the A+ first if your enjoy Software more then do the MCDST first.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yep, the A+, Network+, and MCDST would serve you well.

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  8. Riaz

Riaz Bit Poster

Welcome to CF!

Certifications: CompTIA A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: CIW Web Design