hi to everyone

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Col, Feb 19, 2010.

1. Col

Col Byte Poster

Been lurking the past few months but have finally got around to signing up. Got my A+ and Network+. Was going to sit my CCENT next but am now wondering whether going for my MCDST might not be a wiser move.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  2. Asterix

Asterix Megabyte Poster

Hi Lurker:twisted:

3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Depends on your experience.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Ideally with the CCENT certification you will have done some real life networking on a production network, and used the CISCO IOS to do some basic things, however I dont think its a bad cert for people who want to go deeper into networking or want to get started (with the provisor that certifications are meant to show experience and you dont really want to be certified in things you have just passed an exam on, as when a certified tech kills a network then their career is over), but if it teaches you some skills to get you started and then you learn lots more not to pass an exam, then go for it, then its a case of showing these skills at work when gunning for a promotion ;) ).

To be honest thought the CCENT wont get you a job working in a network team, so having the cert may not be that useful to you currently, it shows that you know the basics of networking, a bit of switching and basic routing (i think 2 routers), and aimed at solely small businesses that use Cisco kit in their networks , however having said that I am working at a place that uses HP switches and the command line is reasonably similar so the skills are transferable.

If you are planning on doing this id recommend getting some proper network kit, there is a seller on ebay (sorry cant remember the name but its on my previous posts) but just search for ccna kit and youll find sellers who will sell you a bundle with the majority of your needs, also the CISCO official books are worth having (and the IOS command line manual).

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  6. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

hi col,

welcome aboard!

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  7. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Welcome to CF! 8)

8. Col

Col Byte Poster

hi to everyone. Thanks for the welcome

@Kev

Thanks especially for the advice. I was initially recommended to go for CCNA via CCENT but having scanned these forums, I think it might be a pointless exercise without getting some Microsoft certs first. So think I'll go for the MCDST first, then do the upgrade exam and then maybe the MCSE.

Certifications: A+ Network+ MCP MCDST MCITP
    WIP: CCENT Security+
  9. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Welcome...

10. graphics

graphics Nibble Poster

:) welcome........

WIP: CCNA
  11. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Same advice applies to the MCSE... it won't be of much use to you unless you have 12 months of real-world server administration experience in a multi-site, multi-server domain environment.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!