Hi to all

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Grumpy Hayes, May 24, 2010.

1. Grumpy Hayes

Grumpy Hayes New Member

Hi guys Im 29 and i am looking to start self learning to gain MCSE

I have no other form of qualifications and I have been working in IT for over 10 years starting on service desk and moving on to 2nd line support.

I am doing the MCSE for 2 reasons first is get a wider understanding of MS server technology and 2nd is to prove to myself i can do it ;)

I want to progress in my current role and expand on the type of work i do on a day to day basis.

Steve

2. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi and Welcome

Might be worth doing the MCDST first(If it is XP you regularly support) which is the support certification, if thats what the core of your jobrole entails, then maybe going for MCSA if you do regular server support with windows 2003 server (if you are 2008 look at the 2008 server certs).

If you dont have the experience then theres no harm in learning the material, and then showing off what you have learned at work, this is a great way to gain a promotion or increased responsibilities so you get day to day experience (you may be doing this already 2nd line means different things at different places)

Certifying without experience isnt a great idea as others will tell you here.

The MCSE was really meant for people who are at the top of the IT chain when it comes to designing the systems, and making network wide decisions regarding Server placement, OU design, security implementations and so on, a lot of people do this and find that they cannot handle the roles as there is so much that isnt covered on the exams and also they havent built up the other skills that these exams dont test.

People with experience find exams easier, and thats for a reason :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Grumpy Hayes

Grumpy Hayes New Member

thanks for the advice kevicho i will give them a look I am looking to do both the xp and windows 7 exams and then look at the certs more for my own development than work :)

5. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Hello,

My Name is Danielle and I am 25 yrs old. I really want to get into IT I have done courses an highest Level is HNC and currently doing a Open Uni in Computing.

I have looked into Computeach and wanted to know if you can trust them to do a MCSE also E Careers I have looked into anyone heard of these?

I really want to get into IT but ity's hard work and I just thought a MCSE would be a good start.

Dan :)

6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Hi Danielle,

First off a warning, the MCSE is not an entry level cert, it's designed for the engineer with 12 - 18 months of experience using the products concerned.

Secondly, for the most part the recommended route is going for the A+, N+ and MCDST certifications. Having those courses will help you in getting your foot in the door with regards to 1st line and service desk work.

Lastly a lot of people will suggest self study rather than wasting money on Training Providers, especially those training providers claiming to be able to get you a job at the end of the training plan.

Anyway, what ever you decide, good luck.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. Grumpy Hayes

Grumpy Hayes New Member

hi danielle

nice post ;) except you have hijacked mine :D

I would start with A+ and N+ they are basic and will give you a good starting point also most colleges do them now if you struggle with self paced learning or dont have freedom at home to do self learning.

8. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Hi Dan, an MCSE is aimed at someone who has worked in IT for a few years, ideally IT certifications are aimed at validating experience as opposed to gaining employment (see loads of threads on here about MCSEs failing due to lack of experience), my suggestion would focus on gaining employment, either through voluntary work, sorting your CV out and doing some self study in areas such as desktop support and some networking, maybe taking the MCDST or the Windows 7 version the EDST certification, these will help you get in the door somewhere.

Microsoft themselves put pre requisites to their exams, and indeed while some people choose to ignore them, they find themselves in an awkward place because the ideal kind of "get your foot in the door" job, employers think they are overqualified, will get bored, and if they do get a chance to interview then their lack of experience shows straight away.

This being said, if you want to study the material to improve your skills theres nothing to stop you, ideally you then show these skills in employment and get the job title/experience to go with it, then you certify and then you start progressing up the ladder :)

Good luck

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal