Hi there!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Anghelides1, Jun 21, 2009.

1. Anghelides1

Anghelides1 New Member

Hi im new to the forum and looking for a bit of advice!
    im looking to get into an IT career and have been looking at advent training as a friend of mine has used them and got a job out of it, the only thing that puts me off is the price of around 4.5k+ for an MCSE.
    I've been reading up on a few forums and have read that its alot cheaper to buy the books yourself and do the exams at your local college.
    Ive not got a massive amount of knowledge on IT I did a Intermediate GNVQ in ICT in school but that was 6 years ago and ive forgot a lot of it since then, i'd probably want to do the comptia a+ first and then look into the MCSE when I feel ready.
    What books/equipment would you recommend i would need etc.

I'd appreciate any feedback thanks!

Mike

2. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

I'd recommend doing the A+, then the N+, followed by the MCDST. All of these can be done via self study methods.

The recommended books for the A+ are this one and this one. As well as the books you would need a cheap second-hand pc to mess about /practice with.

As for the MCSE certification, this is aimed at IT people who have at least 12 months of server administration experience in a multi-site, multi-server environment.

HTH

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. MrNerdy

MrNerdy Megabyte Poster

Hello & Welcome to CF.

Certifications: ECDL, CiscoIT1 & A+
    WIP: Girlfriend & Network+
  5. Anghelides1

Anghelides1 New Member

Thanks for the feedback ill take a look at the books now any idea what sort of timescale it'd take to do the a+ I know everyones different but just on average?

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

depends on your knowledge and experience. The Myeres book is 1136 pages so it could take you a couple of weeks or month just to read it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?