Hi there...

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Affirmation, May 21, 2006.

1. Affirmation

Affirmation Bit Poster

Hey guys,

I am very happy to find this forum and would like to thank and congratulate to the founders, all staff and especially to all of you members for being so helpful.

My first post here...and I must ask for an advice...

I'm 26, full-time (but very flexible) employed in property sector industry, been with them over 4 years, had some good time while I was office based, but since February 2006 I'm on the road, very flexible role, loads of free time. Therefore, I can say I am quite happy right now, but I do not see this as a permanent solution. Therefore, I am thinking of changing career path. The biggest problem is that I am very hesitant and not sure what to do. You probably wonder what I am doing here. Well, I do have an interest in IT and computers, but I can't decide which path to take, where to start and what to go for? I would describe myself as a creative person, always looking for perfection, balance. My question would be...is there a test or something similar thing where I can test my IT skills and knowledge, from where I could decide which field to choose.

Thanks guys. Hope to hear from you soon.

2. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF 8)

3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate - Welcome to CF...

4. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! umm the only advice i could pass on is why IT? if its for money or stabiltiy it could not work out.. IT is a tough sector right now and you will start out with a low salary maybe as low as 14k...

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  5. Affirmation

Affirmation Bit Poster

Hello guys,

thanks for quick reply...

Very good question Zimbo? That's what I ask myslef sometimes and that's why I'm very hesitant in chosing the right path...but IT seems the easiet to adopt to and there is so many ways and sources to do it. As it looks now, the future in front of us is all about the computers. Will there be a shortage of staff or not, we have to wait and see?

Once again, thanks very much.

6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

i can tell you IT is not easy.. there are people who have been looking for a job for a while because they lack experience... but when you finally get that break you can start flying! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Affirmation.. 8)

Your first step into IT should start with a certification called CompTIA A+.This is an entry level certification that gives an excellent and well respected grounding in an IT career path.Taking a test now wouldn't really give you a fair perspective of your current level of IT literacy,since the IT spectrum is very wide and highly diverse.Take a preliminary look at what's on offer in terms of education,experience and certification and feel free to ask if you need more advice.

Certifications: A+ Network+
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Do you an idea of what area of IT you would like to get into? Network Support, Software Development, Web Design..... .......its a big list! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  10. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum. :D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  11. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Thanks for the kinds words. Welcome :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CF :biggrin

14. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome, glad you found us. My advice to you would be to buy a book of the subject you plan to master and see if you like it. So many people are spending thousands of pounds on training and they aren't even sure if they want to do it.

Best of luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  15. Affirmation

Affirmation Bit Poster

Hello again... :biggrin

Amazing response...thanks very much guys...

Just to add another question and ask for advice before I say anything else. It's regarding courses with Bickenhall College; they are based in London, near Baker Street Tube station. Any of you done any courses with them?

Now, regarding which field in IT? If I decide to start something in IT, it would be either Web Design or Networking & Security. Database, programming, etc. are not really my cup of tea.

As Malnomates said, I thought that A + would be the best to start with. In addition, there might be a chance that I could go back to office and join IT Department. Anyway, thanks very much guys, I really appreciate it.

All the best!