Hi there everybody!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by 3en, May 11, 2006.

1. 3en

3en New Member

New to the forums, hope this isnt too much info! :unsure

I am 26 and have tought myself the basics of PC's, I have also had a lot of help from a friend who is MCSE qualified. I have been working in the role of Support Engineer for about 18 months - working with lots of various different issues from basic hardware and software to networking and internet...I feel that I now have a good knowledge of supporting the home user and I want to take it further, I have recently had a look at what is in demand in my area and what kinds of qualificaions are needed to further my career in IT. From what I see, the CISCO CCNA CCNP CCIE are the most commonly required and sought after in the work place, I think that it will be the best way of having better security to be able to get a job with a good salary. I am also aware that they are costly courses and only last for 3 years (dont know if thats true to all the CISCO Certs.) which makes me think it may be better to go a different route...maybe the N+ A+ but i see less jobs asking for those so...

Any comments would be greatly appreciated as I am at a turning point in my life - gotta get learning and take some qualifications damn it!

:iluvcf

2. Weemez

Weemez Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Don't expect the certs themselves to define what salary you might achieve, experience is the most important point to the employer but it seems to me that you are well on your way to gaining that with your current employer.

The A+ and N+ seem to be the most popular way for people working towards certs such as MSCE or CCNA/CCNP as it gives them a good understanding of the fundimentals required to achieve success in these topics.

The CCNA requires that you resit every three years, if you have the CCNP and resit this after the three years you don't have to do the CCNA as the CCNP is a more advanced cert. As far as the CCIE is concerned i'n not sure, all i do know is that it is one hell of a cert to achieve.

The others will be along later i'm sure to correct me if i'm wrong with any of this info.

In the mean time it just leaves me to wish you luck on whatever you decide to do.

GOOD LUCK! :biggrin

Certifications: HNC Computing A+ N+ ICND1
    WIP: ICND2
  3. jackd

jackd Megabyte Poster

Welcome To CertForums 3en :)

4. Malnomates

Malnomates Megabyte Poster

Welcome to CF.. 8)

Certifications: A+ Network+
  5. juice142

juice142 Megabyte Poster

Hello! :thumbleft

J.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270, MCSA
  6. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Hi mate - Welcome to CF...

7. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  8. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

It is not a bad idea to do A+, even though you have fair experience. You can do it self-study which would be a lot cheaper than taking a course. And you might be surprised at the gaps in your knowledge when you go through the A+ requirements!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, 3en. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome aboard, good luck with the certs :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. 3en

3en New Member

I really appreciate all your hello's and comments guys n gals!

Thank you sincerely everybody! :D

I will ask around relevant companies if they have any positions available where I could train in the working environment...I am pretty sure it will be a hard task though, but im willing to try!

I wouldnt mind taking the A+ and N+ anyway, I seem to remember they last one year each, can you do that fast track online then?

:hhhmmm

13. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF. You do these exams at your pace - they are not fixed at a year. :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hi and welcome to CF.

I would encourage you to start with the A+ and N+ I am sure you will find the knowledge very helpful as a strong foundation to build further studies on. Also, it will give you a bit of insight into the necessary study techniques required to pass these exams. Be aware that vendor specific IT certs are as tough as nails to attain and even tougher to keep long term.

Make sure that you are really dedicated to learning IT and prepared for a never ending learning curve before you part with huge sums of money. Many people drop by the wayside and simply can't find the time to keep studying. They often wave goodbye to their investment. With any job in IT the learning and hence studying never ends.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  16. Island3r

Island3r Nibble Poster

welcome dude 8)

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, MCSA 2003, MCTS: Windows Vista, Config, MCTS: Exchange 2007, Config, MCTS: Server 2007 Active Directory, Config, MCTS: Server 2008 Network Infrastructure, CEH
  17. 3en

3en New Member

Thanks again for all your advice....I feel that it is time to take my career further and get some relevant qualifications, ideally setting me up to get a good job! I do realise that it might take me years to get where I want to be, but I want to carry on in IT as it is something I really enjoy learning about. Good to always have something new to get into! :biggrin

Jakamoko - Can you recommend anywhere that I can do the A+ and N+ online at my own pace?

18. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

All I would recommend is you buy the materials yourself (Myers A+, Groth N+ - in my opinion), supplement them with some additional resources (eg ExamCram, Cramsessions) and do it in your own time, with places like CF for further support and advice. Can't recommend any specific online trainers (it would be seen as favouritism if I did anyway :biggrin )

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. 3en

3en New Member

Interesting, thank you very much Jakamoko! I will look into that and let you guys know how I get on! :)