Hi there :0)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by bazza2963, Mar 2, 2008.

1. bazza2963

bazza2963 New Member

Hi all,

I am new to this forum and this line of work and would like some advice on where to go with it.

Me, I am 31 and currently have work in the public sector, at the moment I am pulling in £27k. I have a basic knowledge of computing and can build computers and sort out basic networking problems, I have never worked in the IT industry but would like to as my interest always seems to fall into this catergory and my enthuisiam would help me learn.

I am interested in the networking and installation side of the IT world.

Please help as I do not know where to start looking and which courses to take.

Thank you

Barry

2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

You say you have no experience in the IT Industry?

If that's the case you would have to take a massive drop in pay to start with.

If you don't mind that, the best start would be with the A+ then go onto the N+.

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

Hi Barry, and welcome to the forum!

As probably just about everybody will tell you, have a look at starting with the Comptia A+ - all you'll need is a cheap PC, Mike Meyers's all-in-one guide, and James Pyles's (tripwire to the rest of us!) PC Technician Street Smarts; once you've done that, Network+ is the next step then the MCDST certification.

Quite a lot of the members on here are doing the same courses right now so you'll be in good company! :biggrin

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  4. bazza2963

bazza2963 New Member

Thanks for the quick replies guys, obviously I dont really want to take a big drop. Would it be possible to do these courses whilst working full time ??

5. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

Rather than take courses, why not home study? You can do that while working full time. This is how I got my certs.

If you want then to move into working in IT then you would probably still take a drop in salary, as you won't be able, yet, to show experience in a job.

However, you *might* be able to be seconded to your IT department, which might make the transition easier.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Yes it is, all you need is the books, and determination there is no need to a course for them, but Wizard is right getting you first jobs in IT will mean you take a pay cut & since your on 27k you will probably be looking aat a 10k drop or more.

IT is one of those industries were it is misreported on how well paid it is, only after a few years experience will the pay packet come.

welcome to CF

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I know you don't want to take a drop in pay... nobody does. But allow me to ask you this: would you expect someone who has worked in IT to jump right into your job without experience for your salary? or would you think they'd have to work up to that level?

You CAN make good money in IT... but you don't typically START with good money in IT, and it takes more than just attending a few classes to advance. You advance in IT by getting real-world experience - not classes and certifications - and the only way you can get that experience is through time.

All that said... IT is a highly rewarding career. And... like I said, the money eventually gets pretty good once you develop the experience. :thumbleft

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!