Hi people

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by WalMart Roy, Apr 23, 2009.

1. WalMart Roy

WalMart Roy New Member

My name is Roy. I wuz told by a friend that I should come here to talk about IT. I am new to IT so please bear with me. I don't know that much about computers. What I do know is that I hate my job and I hate dealing with people, which is why I want to be in IT cuz you just sit in front of a computer. My friend said that I am very smart and should be an engineer so I should just shoot straight for the top. He says the CCIE pays big bucks so I wouldn't be a poor wal mart emploee anymore. Or maybe I could be a MCSE. Programming seems to hard but I'm a quick learner. It can't be that hard after all. Well im desperate to get outta walmart. I only want the top certs out their cuz i've been on the bottom for long enough. I'm running on 45 now.

Certifications: None but I want to be engineeeer soon
    WIP: MSCE and CCIE
  2. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

Hi Roy, welcome to the forum. I hate to be the one to break this to you but IT is just the same as any other profession in that we've all started at the bottom. No certification can enable you to bypass 1st line and entry level positions. The reason for this is that in IT, experience is whats most important. We back our experience up by passing our Exams and gaining the qualifications you speak of which does help us move up the ladder (hopefully). I think everyone will agree with me here when I say that an applicant for a job that is a MCSE or CCIE without a proven track record of on the job problem solving, almost certainly won't get the job.

There is hope however! IT is a fast moving industry and with some hard work, the right attitude and a few lower level certs you can move up the ladder very quickly. My honest advice is to look at CompTIA's A+ and N+ before you do anything. You can always move onto the higher level qual's once you have your foundation IT knowledge and 6-12 months experience behind you.

Best of luck
    James

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  3. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

Just sit infront of the computer? :lol: You have been very much mis-informed. Yes there is a big portion of the job in front of networks, PC's, server, etc... However there is a great deal of interaction with people, especially when there are problems.

Unfortunately, no one enters the IT field at the top. You can have a goal of being at that position, but it takes years to build up your knowledge in order to climb the IT career ladder.

An experienced and qualified CCIE can earn alot of money, the same thing goes for the MCSE, etc... However the key words are experienced and qualified. Professional certifications are not a subsitute for experience, they are there to reflect your job role and experience.

If it wasn't hard, then the salary would be alot less than what you're getting at Walmart & alot more people would be doing it. Do not see the IT field as a quick fix, just to get you out of your current job.

IT is not just "do a 6 week course" and you'll be earning Thousands of $/£. It's an ongoing process, every so often you will have to refresh your skills.

Another article you may want to read is this one.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Another MSCE candidate I see. :twisted:

"Top" certs does not mean big money.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  6. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

no one else see this is as being a "fake" post?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. Sparky

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Must admit I did think the same thing. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

It could be, but then again it may not be. Lets face it, how many people are told that IT is an easy field to get into, especially by advertising that you can do a 6 to 8 week course and land a £25k-£50k straight away.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security