Hi Newbe Here!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by kipper, Sep 20, 2006.

1. kipper

kipper New Member

Hi,

I am going to try to kill two birds with one stone on this post.

Firstly hello to everybody:)

This week I have started my first IT position and I am responsible for everything IT related. The server runs Microsoft Server 2003 and there are currently around 16 users.

I have been looking into IT training for a while now due to a redundancy period and my employer seems very keen to let me go on a course ASAP which we also discussed during the interview.

I have spoken to Training Camp and they have recommended A+ and Network+, does this course seem suitable for my position?

Can anyone recommend any good books which may help me, especially for the networking side of things? Currently I am trying to connect a printer to the network, the other printers are all connected directly to user computers!

Many Thanks,

Chris

2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

First of all - hi and welcome to CF! :biggrin

You seem to have dived into the deep end! Whether A+ and Network+ are right for you at this point very much depends on your experience.

I'd be surprised if you were let loose on a network like this without *some* experience, so if that is the case perhaps Network+ and some Microsoft certs would be a better bet.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome to CF :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  4. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Hi. :biggrin

5. kipper

kipper New Member

Hi and thanks for the warm welcome.

The only experience I have is fiddling with computers at home which is very little:cry:

When I had the interview I let them know that I was looking for a trainee position. I also travel 50 miles to work.

The guy who currently deals with the IT also had no experience and he is meant to be training myself although he has other responsibilities!

Cheers

Chris

6. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

In which case, I'd recomend A+ followed by Network+ and then Microsoft MCDST.

The first two are 'agnostic' - they don't stick to the Microsoft line, which gives you a good broad background. The MCDST will cover a lot of the same ground plus more, but with a slant on the Microsoft way of thinking, and will be a good intro to M$ exams.

After that you will need to look at M$ server exams, and I'll leave others to make recomendations.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  7. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

What you then need is a print server (something like this - make sure you get the right version - USB or parallel). You'll have to assign it an IP address then either install it directly on client PC's or install it on your Windows Server, share it then let people connect to it via a script (for example).

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  8. kipper

kipper New Member

Excellent advice thanks,

We have a computer wholesaler next door so I will go and have a word.

Thanks,

Chris

9. kipper

kipper New Member

Hi,

Turns out the printer was network ready. Someone was coming in from an IT company so I networked it up and let them install the drivers and assign the ip address at the server and I have installed the printer on a few of the desktop computers:D

Cheers,

Chris.