Hi New Here CIW Info Required

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by Stumgee, Jul 15, 2008.

1. Stumgee

Stumgee New Member

:rolleyes:Hi There:rolleyes:

This is my first post although I have been visiting this site for months.
    I am disabled so I don't work so I have a lot of time on my hands. I have self taught myself a little bit of web design as I spend about 7 hours a day on my laptop.
    I understand from what I have read on this site the best way to get into webdesign is a good portfolio.
    However I have so much spare time I thought I would try studying for the CIW Foundations exam with a view to going on to complete the Master Web Designer Course.
    My plan was to self study but apart from the online resources you all list on this site I can hardly find if any at all any V5 books everything appears to be V4.
    So my questions are:-

What books did you guys use?
    Can I get the Self Study Kits From Anywhere Online?... I struggle a bit to get out to the shops.
    I have tried ebay all I can get are exam simulators and I am not sure what use they will be if i'm not sure what exactly I need to learn.
    Basically guys and girls this is a bit of a plea for up2date info on what materials are available for someone like myself to study this course from a very basic knowledge starting point and what subjects I need to learn.

Thank You in advance for all your help!!!!

PS. is £5000 really what it costs in the UK for all the course materials.

Stumgee :rolleyes:

2. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

I've never done the CIW, but a quick look at their site shows me that you can get study kits from UK distributors.

Welcome to CF! 8)

3. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

The full CIW Website Design Manager course including materials and *cough* support (nah the tutors are pretty decent) cost me £2,700

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  4. nellyp123

nellyp123 Byte Poster

Hi, you will struggle to find up-to-date books for the CIW certs because they are not that popular, even though this is the only web design course that has some credentials.
    I spent weeks trying to locate some newer version books and i eventually found some dating back to 2004 ( just when version 4 changed to version 5) on ebay. And as people have told me and as you said.....building up a portfolio is more Important than any certification, especially when you ain't in the industry yet!

Keep looking though because i don't think paying five grand to a training provider justifies itself!
    Yes you will get the up-to-date books and software (possibly). But at the end of the day, all you will be doing is teaching yourself.
    The subjects you need to learn are...XHTML and CSS. That should do you for starters. Then you need to learn photoshop and possibly flash. So if you look on www.amazon.com for books on web design...just make sure that they are newish books.
    One book i would highly recommend is "CSS the missing manual". This will teach both XHTML and CSS as these two mark-up codes work together, which is called semantic code. That's what you need to master first.

Here is a list of good sites that have helped me learn alot about web design:

www.css-tricks.com
    www.learnflash.com
    www.lynda.com
    www.vtc.com
    www.w3schools.com
    www.hv-design.co.uk
    www.kelbytraining.com
    www.totaltraining.com
    www.sitepoint.com

All the best!

Certifications: CIW Professional
  5. Stumgee

Stumgee New Member

Thanks Guys Any More Good Books You Can Tell Me About :D:D

Phoenix which company did you study with for that price?