Hi need some help and advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Batiadis, Jul 5, 2010.

1. Batiadis

Batiadis New Member

Hi all this looks like a good site to get some advice, I hope some of you can help me out.

Basically im looking to get some IT certs in my spare time, doing maybe 1-2 hours home study a day for up to a year or so, I have no IT certs right now so I was looking for the best places to start and it is incredibly confusing trying to decipher which are the best courses and where to begin :confused3 and where to do them. Basically I have been told to do either CompTIA A+ or preferably a Microsoft cert, I am a beginner but I am decent enough with computers and am willing to work hard, im looking more at the desktop side than hardware really.

Is there one Microsoft Cert I should be aiming for or looking to do?
    Does this course look any good to you http://www.itlearneasy.com/html/microsoft-network-professional.html
    Is there anywhere online you recommend to do courses through? or would you say teaching yourself is good for a beginner?

I have trawled the internet for hours trying to get some decent info but I don't trust half the stuff I read as people are after my £, plus im worried much of it could be out dated. Would really appreciate some help, thanks

2. Batiadis

Batiadis New Member

Edit: after reading a lot of other posts it appears like the CompTIA A+ is the best option with self study, is that the case you think?

3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

A+,Network+ and MCDST are the general starting certs. I would advise self study as you will save yourself a ton of cash.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Absolutely.

I would recommend the A+, Network+, and MCDST... but no farther until you've got some experience under your belt.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!