Hi, I'm t0ad.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by t0ad, Dec 8, 2006.

1. t0ad

t0ad Bit Poster

Hello,

Currently working toward an associate qualification for Cisco. I hope to progress through the latter stages of Cisco and then specialize in field engineering.

One quicky - Would taking A+ be pointless alongside an associate course? I plan to go into networking but I guess the more qualifications the better, right?

Just looking for advice and some new folk, hope your all well. :biggrin

Cheers!

WIP: Associate /w Cisco
  2. C_Eagle

C_Eagle Byte Poster

Hi and welcome.

I would say If your clued up with PC's and TCP/IP etc then probably not worth doing the A+.

I'd say the N+ would be more up your street.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, 70-270
    WIP: MCSA 70-290
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Its up to you but personally, if I were your age, I would go for A+, then Net+ as they are a good starting place and will help to consolidate your basic knowledge of how computers and networks in general operate. The Cisco stuff is clearly vendor specific.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

If you were an employer, would you hire someone with certifications, with education, or both?

Mmm-hmmmm, I would too. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. t0ad

t0ad Bit Poster

Thanks all for your advice, I know where your coming from BrainBeacon Michael, I can't go through the education system now, it's a very long story, I'm working for an IT company who are providing me with the cisco associate course, I know I definatly want to specialize in networking when I get older, but was just wondering from an employers point of view wheter or not an associate in cisco and A+ would be an advantage instead of just another qualification.

I have no previous exp in networking apart from the stuff I've started learning with the associate course and day to day work wth my IT company, thats quite limited at the moment. I think I would like to start with an A+ if it's basic, the last thing I want to do is skip a foundation level.

I'm obviously not highly skilled with computers due to my age and lack of experiance but I've been learning about computers since I was 8 years old. I'm savvy enough for my age.

Thanks all for your time, it's muchly appriciated. :biggrin

6. BosonMichael

Ah, I didn't know what you meant by "associates course". If you mean the CCNA, in my opinion, you're not ready for that if you haven't even seen a Cisco device. The CCNA is more than just a foundation level above... it's a few levels above. In time, you certainly will be ready for it. At least take the A+ and Net+ first, and get situated in a real IT job.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  7. t0ad

t0ad Bit Poster

So somthing along the lines of this and this? These apparantly are prerequisites for the associate course. And no I havn't touched Cisco equiptment, I have mainly just been setting up home networks for various clients.

Right let me try to explain my situation a little better.
    I am working for a real IT company, allbeit no a huge one, but it is real. The deal is the provide me with an associate course whilst I work for them. It's somthing I found via my local career office. It is the CCNA, yes. Just to clear that up.
    So the two links at the top apparntly are whats need to take the CCNA so obviously I'm not ready for that yet. Now, to refrase the question. Would I be eligible for the CCNA with A+ and NET+?

Thanks again for your time, it's really helping. :)

8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

T0ad,

Is the course you are doing being ran through a local college as part of the Cisco Network Academy Program? So far as part of your course what have you covered? I'm just wondering because the Cisco Academy also offer a course called IT Essentials One and Two, which are often covered before you do the CCNA course, and are the equivalent of the CompTIA A+ and Server+.

8)

9. t0ad

t0ad Bit Poster

As far as material covered it's pretty much ziltch. I'm sorry to mess you fellows around like this but I'm going to have to get back to you all. Come Monday (thats when the careers office opens) I will be able to get more infomation on it. I'm doing it through an IT company I work for, I'll talk to my boss (again on Monday) and find out exactly what it is they provide.
    My bad, I really have messed up here. I'll get some more infomation and then refresh this thread come Monday if I may.

Thanks again.

10. BosonMichael

Anyone is eligible to take the CCNA exam. But would I advise it at your current experience level? Unless you've already got a solid foundation of networking concepts, I wouldn't advise that certification at this point in your career for two reasons:

1) Too many certifications without an equivalent amount of experience can sometimes hurt you rather than help you gain employment.
    2) Without enough real-world experience, it's awfully difficult to get some certifications, especially the higher level ones.

A course might be able to help you pass the exam... but if the certification doesn't reflect your experience, you might find yourself in a job that you're not qualified to perform in "real life".

Hope this makes sense. Don't get me wrong - I'm not saying you *can't* do it... I'm just advising you to proceed with caution. Walk before you run... and crawl before you walk. Get a good foundation of knowledge built in your head, then keep building on it. You'll make it, I promise you!

Best of luck.

11. t0ad

t0ad Bit Poster

Thank you Michael, like I said, I'm going to get some more infomation on exactly what the deal is with all this. Then I can get some advice taylored to my actull situation.

Thanks yet again, great advice. :)

Take care, I'll update on Monday. :oops: