HI I'm Rob

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by pumpkinhead, Jan 23, 2006.

1. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead New Member

JUst signed up as i want some advice on how to go about gettign certification for software programming.

Certifications: none
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Howdy Rob, Welcome to CF! :biggrin

Do you know what certifications it is that you are interested in? What is your background, are you currently in IT and looking to formalise your skills?

Take a look around our various forums, and see if you can find the answers you are looking for.

8)

3. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Rob and welcome to the forums :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  4. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome!

There doesn't seem to be such a well known set of certs for software generaly as there are for hardware and admin work.

Is this for software in general or a specific language or area of application? I ask, as there are some good certs from Microsoft for their specific languages and platforms, and also from the likes of Oracle for Java and XML. There are other specific certs as well.

If you are just starting then it is going to be difficult to advise, as the field is huge. Normaly the way forward for this would be a degree of some sort, as that covers programming theory as well as quite a few languages.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  5. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Hello there.

What they said.
    I don't know of any actual 'certifications' for writing software, although I'm sure you will find come courses that teach it. Try an adult education centre or Open University.

You need to have a bit of a think about what you want to end up doing, as that will influence the language you need to study.

And please, please don't say you want to learn how to write games for the playstation! A lot of people think it's fun or exciting, it's the modern day equivalent of wanting to be a train driver. I know a number of developers and it is hard, tedious and fairly unrewarding.

There's more to it than designing Lara Croft's arse! :biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Rob! 8)

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, Rob. Welcome to CertForums. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Welcome to CF, Rob :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi Rob and welcome to the forum.:)

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there Rob and welcome to CF. :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  11. pumpkinhead

pumpkinhead New Member

Hi guys, thanks to everyone who has replied so far. I'm afraid i am a little vague on the subject at the moment. Just been scratching the surface up till now as I'm actually working in electronics engineering.
    Just something I've always been fascinating and I've been going through a SAMS book on beginning programming. Just starting to learn about C++, and Visual Basic really and some Java. Just wanted to know what is a good track into the profession partly to keep my career options open and also just because I'm enjoying it and want to learn more.
    Rest assured I have no interest in designing Lara Crofts arse. I actually preferred Chun li in streetfighter! ha ha

Certifications: none
  12. Veteran's son

Veteran's son Megabyte Poster

Hello :)

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+