Hi I'm New!

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Ginge2k7, Dec 2, 2007.

1. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Hello every one
    Just joined and looking for some advice on where to take my career which is non existent at the moment as i've been unemployed for two years and have never worked in IT,but will save those questions for another post.
    I'm a 30year old guy from the UK quite friendly to talk to and welcome new contacts (or friends even), so i will leave it there for the moment cos i never know what to write on these intro things:dry

Certifications: School of life (and a few GCSE's)
    WIP: MCDST
  2. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Welcome.

Ouch, two years unemployment? Unless you have quite a good reason for being unemployed, you are going to find it difficult to get a job, especially in the IT sector. My first piece of advice would be to get your ass out and get any job first and foremost - even if its just sweeping the streets. If you can get an entry level IT job so much the better, but dont hold out for it, just get into employment.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  3. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Ok. well maybe "unemployed" was a bad use of language, as I've thought of it as more of a career break and being in a town with such high unemployment as Luton then even if I was active seeking employment as they like to call it nowadays the chances of me getting a job sweeping the streets is very slim at the moment!
    Anyway thanks for replying to my introduction and speak to you in the future hopefully

4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF.

I see you're thinking of studying for A+ from your WIP. That is a really sensible option if you don't have much experience in IT, and CF is an excellent resource to help you with your studies.

All the best.

6. Fergal1982

Unfortunately, it doesnt matter what you choose to consider your time out from employment. Employers are going to see a two year gap in your employment history and be wary. You may very well still get interviews, and be asked about the gap, but your answer will have a great bearing on your chances to get the job.

I'm not saying this to be harsh: Its a simple fact of employment. They dont like employment gaps without good cause. That said, its not impossible to overcome, but you do need to take a look at getting employment of some sort, as the longer the gap in employment the harder it becomes to overcome.

As far as your studies are concerned, A+ is indeed a good resource to get your foot in the door, and give you a good foundation on which to build upon.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
  7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Ginge 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

Fergal, you sound like your speaking from experience? Anyway my two year gap is justified and im not scrounging off the state so, i'm looking at getting back into work early next year.
    I have lots of experience "tinkering" with old PC's and took a mock exam from cold for the A+ online the other day and got 40 out of 80 questions correct, so i presume the A+ is a good route to go down if i want do that for a living?

9. Fergal1982

Not so much, but there have been plenty of people here with similar situations. I also had a four year gap in my CV - mainly because I neglected to mention a part-time job whilst I was at uni since it wasnt relevant (and I hadnt graduated, so the degree wasnt listed). I got questioned about it, but since I could justify it it wasnt a problem. You may want to include something about the reason for the gap in your cover letter when submitting a CV. That way it limits the damage before the interview stage.

A+ is definately a good route to start with for that kind of job.

10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Hello and welcome to CF!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Hi Welcome A+ is the way to go for starters.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Put “Travelled around Europe for 2 years” on your CV mate.

Welcome :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  13. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Welcome.

Good luck with your decision of an IT career. It's fun, and a career of never ending learning. There are always new books, new technology, and new certs to study for.

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  14. Ginge2k7

Ginge2k7 Bit Poster

I feel all warm and fuzzy inside after all these warm welcomes:D
    Thanks dudes

15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Always remember that you are competing against others for the same job. ANYTHING that might raise a "red flag" to an employer will make it more difficult for you to get a job. Getting your first IT job is difficult enough - you'll need every edge you can get. If you can get a job doing anything, that'd be preferable to no job at all.

You don't need the A+ to get an entry-level IT job, but it can help. Start looking for IT jobs NOW... don't wait until you're done with the A+. If you can't get an entry-level IT job, get a job at any sort of call center, doing customer service, order entry, whatever... that sort of experience CAN translate into helping you get an entry-level IT job.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  17. grim

grim Gigabyte Poster

if you live in Luton your best bet for an IT job would either be in London or Milton Keynes. It still doesn't look good on your CV that you've had no job for 2 years, gonna be a draw back.

grim

Certifications: Bsc, 70-270, 70-290, 70-291, 70-293, 70-294, 70-298, 70-299, 70-620, 70-649, 70-680
    WIP: 70-646, 70-640