Hi, im new :)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Trisha, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Trisha

Trisha New Member

Hi everyone, i thought i would come and introduce myself. im 22, recently graduated from uni, i did computer science. i am currently looking for a part-time job in i.t, but it is very very hard.

I found this website after searching for reviews on skills train, as i had a visit from an advisor today. I must say he was a very nice person. Told me abit about the CIW course, and how much it was. asked me many questions on how much i wanted it. Told me that they select who they take on. i havent signed anything yet, but he was eager for me to give my credit card details over, which did put me off. so i said to him i will let him know. so i thought id do some research before i take it further. He said with the qualification that i will get, it will give me a chance to work from home which sounds good. so i need some advice if anyones got any? i would really appreciate it.

thank you
    Trisha :)

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

He's certainly throwing out the allegations, isn't he? If you believe that you'll be able to work from home as an entry-level tech by taking courses, I've got a nice pyramid scheme to sell you... :twisted:

Welcome to the forum. Most of us here are big advocates of self-study. It's a WHOLE lot cheaper, and you can learn the same things.

The big question is... what do you want to do in IT? CIW is usually pursued by people who want to work in Web design - a dying/dead field, if you ask me, but if it's your dream job, so be it. Is that what you're looking for?

Best of luck to you. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum Trisha, i trust you have searched here for threads related to computeach?

Salesman tend to exaggerate, so don't believe everything they say.

Care to elaborate on that statement Mike?

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. mondos

mondos Kilobyte Poster

Greetings, Trisha :biggrin .

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST and finding a job!
  6. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Trisha! :biggrin

First of all you need to decide what area of IT you looking to get into? With a degree already in computer science you have a good start. But that doesnt mean it will be easy. You need to decide which area you want to work in before choosing a cert. So if its web design then CIW is the cert. You dont need to do it through a provider - you can if you wish but for someone who has done a degree you must have done a lot of self-study on your own. You can do it for the CIW as well - and many other certifications - i have and so have many others.

Good luck with your studies! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  7. BosonMichael

Which part?

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well specifically this part..

9. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Welcome to CF, glad you joined up.

Remember if you're doing professional certs, only concentrate on the entry level certs first of all, as the higher certs should go hand-in-hand with your job.

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  10. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Trish and I'd advice you go the self study route when you have decided which area of IT interest you:D

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  11. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Welcome to CF!:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  12. kat731
    Honorary Member

kat731 Megabyte Poster

Hi and welcome.

Kat

Certifications: BA (Hons), A+
    WIP: 70-685 77-884
  13. Trisha

Trisha New Member

hi, everyone, thank you for your responses, i do want to do the ciw, but not sure where to start. i think i will give going through skills train route a miss, as i have heard quite a bit of negative feeback about them. self study may be the best option, but dont know where to start, any ideas?

14. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Have a look at the self study guide written by zimbo:)
    http://www.certforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11831

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  15. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Oh really? :blink

If you have the cash thats the main thing :rolleyes:

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  16. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi Trisha,

Welcome to the forum. Good luck with your cert's.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  17. BosonMichael

Well, when I took the CIW exams, the Web design concepts were extremely basic... setting up basic Web pages. While graphic designers used to get paid good money for that sort of work, most any amateur can create decent looking Web pages these days. Gone are the days when a company will spend tens of thousands of dollars on Web site design. I've seen several thriving, high-quality Web design businesses dwindle away to next to nothing... the money's just not there anymore unless you're doing extremely complex stuff, like integrating a front-end site in with e-commerce and other back-end apps and databases.

18. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Oh, i assumed CIW would incorporate this ^^, as imho this *is* web design - anything else is beginners stuff, surely, well it must be, if i can do it?

My wife and I created my site using Dreamweaver, with no formal training at all, i haven't even read a book - it uses CSS, java-script and has had some basic flash content. The whole site is written in XHTML transitional and is W3c compliant even down to the required alt tags for all images, including space holders

I intend the next version to use CSS for everything, including the tables but that would be beyond me at the moment.

Check my sig for url.

So what do you learn on the recent CIW courses? :D

19. BosonMichael

No idea. Very few people pursue the CIW. From what I understand, we lost money creating the first batch of CIW exams - that's why you don't see them offered by any of the practice exam companies anymore. And for the record, that's the one certification I don't list in my sig.

20. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

CIW does indeed incorporate databases, server-admin, CGI, UNIX/Linux, E-Commerce, and even project management.

I don't know what the older CIW versions.

I will say however, that the tutor support that Skillstrain have given me is absolutely USELESS. Anything that i dont understand, i find the answer on forums such as this. I wish i would have gone the self-study option but at the time, i didnt know what my options were (IMHO, this is what companies like skillstrain are relying on).

My course material seems identical (word for word) to that of some CIW books that can be bought for around £30 each.

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)