Hi, I'm new to all (computers that is!)

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by loretta, Jan 14, 2007.

1. loretta

loretta New Member

Hi all,

This is a great place.

At the moment I work as a secretary and studying the A+.

I bought a course with Scheidegger for MCSA but felt there was something I needed to know beforehand. After further investigations I am now doing the A+.

I'm finding it really interesting although I'm only on Ch 3 and I now think my brain has given up completely. I think the biggest problem is remembering, I'd love any advice on tricks to remember and 'know' I know the information :blink . I have this tendency to want to understand and remember everything about the chapter before I go on!

Are there any other tests anywhere on how the CPU works, not just the types and specs?

Anyway, that's me and thanks all.

Regards,
    Loretta

Certifications: HND Computing
    WIP: BSc Honours Degree
  2. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hi, welcome to CF :)
    When i done the A+, i found the best way to remember stuff was to actually do it on the computer. So it might be worth getting hold of an old computer that you can practice taking to pieces and creating problems etc, that you can fix. As for how a CPU works, i havent a clue exactly, and to be honest its not really needed in detail to pass the A+, as long as you know the sockets and what processors fit in them, then ya good to go. There are some practice exams here
    http://www.examcram2.com/practice_exams/index.asp?rl=1

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Hi and welcome to CF!

I'd echo Raffaz's point about not needing to know exactly how a processor works. In Mike Meyer's book it is in the 'conceptual' section rather than the 'Test Specific' section for that reason.

However - if you can master that then it helps a lot to understand some concepts introduced later.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. fsimeta

fsimeta Nibble Poster

Hi and welcome to the forums,

I usually find taking notes is a good idea, especially on material you're not sure about, then you can go back over it in the future after ploughing through the whole of the material.

Different people have different styles of learning though, from what I've gathered some like visual presentations, others like a physical ("I can see how that works now") way of learning or some people like to hear it spoken to them so they remember. There is plenty of information on the internet and mostly in these forums to be honest where you can find the style and material that will suit you.

I'm more a fan of mind maps :) And just to plug mine here it is for the Big Gold Book by Mike Meyers (a work in progress I might add..)

http://www.fsimeta.co.uk/CHOS.htm

Fsi

Certifications: Comptia A+, Comptia Network+
    WIP: MCP, MCSA, MCSE, CCNA
  5. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

6. UCHEEKYMONKEY
    Honorary Member

UCHEEKYMONKEY R.I.P - gone but never forgotten. Gold Member

Hello and Welcome to CF:biggrin

There's some good advice there from Raffaz it might be better to get hold of an old PC to practice on.

Alternatively you could look under the A+ section here on CF there's tons of advice about A+ and how to study, plus what to do to keep motivated.:biggrin

Certifications: Comptia A+
    WIP: Comptia N+
  7. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Looks like everyone has given you some good advice so ill just say Hi! :biggrin

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  8. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome to the forum 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Hi and welcome to the forum.

The only thing I can add is the wise words Bluerinse said to me when I was on the A+.

The A+ contains a broad range of topics and a lot of things you need to commit to memory. Because it is usually the first course, you are also learning to study at the same time.

Pete told me that as you learn more it becomes easier and it is very true. I am not saying your future certs will be less techincal but you train yourself on how to learn.

Good luck :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Loretta, we learn by doing. You could read a thousand A+ books and get nowhere. Get a few older PCs and start learning the inside of them. When I took my A+ exams back in the day, I remembered not what I read, but what I did.

To toot my own horn, I did write this book as a lab manual for prospective A+ techs. It has the advantage of using real world examples for labs. I should know. The labs were taken from my trouble tickets over a three month span as I worked as a desktop support tech.

Three copies of my book will be winging from the US to the UK on the 18th of this month. Once in London, they'll be carried to the appropriate parties and act as prizes for a soon-to-be-announced competition here at CF. Stay Tuned. :D

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  11. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome to the forums

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. loretta

loretta New Member

Hey thanks you guys,

I've been off line for a couple of days and was really chuffed to see all the replies, thanks again!

I've now made a list of all the specs of the various CPUs and have stuck them on the walls at home, much to the delight of everybody!!

I've also moved on to the RAM chapter now as I think I'm close to 'getting' it on the CPUs.

I do actually have an old PC of my dad's that he was 'throwing out' but had been really scared to take the lid off before - I now have renewed confidence, I'll have to purchase an anti-static wrist strap and mat and you never know I might be able to save his hard drive!!!!! :biggrin

All the best to all and thanks for the links, I'll be using them and following your competition for your lab book TripWire.

Regards,
    Loretta

Certifications: HND Computing
    WIP: BSc Honours Degree
  14. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi

I'm doing the exact same as you. I'm only a few chapters ahead (just about to start Hard Drives). I have found it a lot easier just to bullet point summarise important facts and actually read them out to myself as I am writing them as if I'm teaching someone (well, myself), then take the tests at then end of the chapters. Highlighting significant words or ones you are not familiar with may help to reinforce them in the old grey matter

Getting an old PC is a fine idea as the last thing you want to do is risk doing anything daft with your current, main PC, plus it is really good for looking at past technology and being able to identify it

Everyone works differently though so hope some of the ideas here come in handy

Good luck:biggrin

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  15. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Welcome to CF Loretta, good luck with your studies and remember your not alone :)

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  16. supag33k

supag33k Kilobyte Poster

Good advice as always...from my own experience my home lab and self study was the only way to go!

Also Welcome!

Certifications: MCSE (NT4/2000/2003/Messaging), MCDBA
    WIP: CCNA, MCTS SQL, Exchange & Security stuff
  17. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Glad to hear it and glad to hear you're taking ESD precautions. I don't recommend this but in a pinch, if you don't have any ESD gear, After you open the case but before reaching inside, touch the metal frame of the PC to equalize the static potential between you and it.

For most things, the only tool you'll need is a phillips screwdriver. Just follow the book and try removing and reinstalling the RAM sticks, PCI cards and such to get a feel for it. If there's a problem with the HDD and you need help, don't be afraid to ask.

Competition??? I have competition??? :eek:

Just kidding. No worries and good luck. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Allow me to "toot" a bit... the book is laid out in a very organized fashion, and should be extremely useful to someone who is looking to learn by doing. I'd recommend it to anyone going for the A+.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. carty2

carty2 New Member

having just completed the a+ i know what u mean about finding it hard to remember and understand it all but i just kept going over the info again and again until it sunk in, just wish i had known about cf before now.

Certifications: a+ hardware,o/s
    WIP: mcp,mcdst,mcse
  20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Well you found this fine forum in the end and I am sure that you will enjoy your stay here for many moons to come.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)