Hi i'm new and looking for advice please

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by gedwards, Feb 6, 2010.

1. gedwards

gedwards New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to retrain as a network engineer. I've got 20 yrs IBM mainframe programming experience and now I can't find work. This is a great opportunity for me to do something more fun. The only networking stuff i've done is my home wireless network but hey I was the first in the street !

I've been looking into doing the CCNA. I am thinking of doing this at CommSupport and i'm prepared to do a lot of work in preparation beforehand. Do I need to do any other certification beforehand ?

I've noticed there are a number of other certifications, its a bit bewildering really. Should I be focusing on these rather than the Cisco ones ?

Finding work in this climate is tough but would I really stand a good chance with a CCNA from CommSupport ?

I don't really want a help desk role i.e 1st line support, I would be happier with a more 'hands on' role.

I don't know if i've given enough detail here but i'm happy to answer any questions just so I make the right decisions.

Many many thanks

Graham

2. cisco lab rat

cisco lab rat Megabyte Poster

Hi Graham

Welcome to CF

To be honest with you the CCNA might be a bit much if all the networking experience you have is setting up a home wireless network.

I would say at this point you want to have a look at the Network+ first, the book by Mike Meyers is a good start.

Also have a look at the networking Basics webinar that is available on the Commsupport Web Site, it's 3 hours long but it will give you an idea of how much you know and understand. CCNA networking basics Scroll down to the middle of the page

And another thing keep your eyes peeled for the free one day courses which are run on a regular basis, again a very good grounding of the basics of networking.

Cheers

Joe

Certifications: Yes I pretty much am!!
    WIP: Fizzicks Degree
  3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Jedward?
    Is that you?

Simon's been looking for you...

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Welcome:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!