Hi I Am New And I Need Some Advice

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Needanewlife, May 24, 2008.

1. Needanewlife

Needanewlife New Member

Hi people hope all are well and in good health.

I need some advice on networking careers, I have never been in a IT job and like many on here I have thought of going and doing a Mcse course with Advent but I think it costs to much and 1-2 years to complete the whole course seems to much to do for a novice..

The skills I have gained over the last 2 years that I have been using pc's is Ecdl 1 & 2/ microsoft specailist in word, Excel,access,powerpoint/ microsoft expert in word. City & Guilds in web page creation/ city & Guilds in desk top publishing, Its not much but I suppose it's a start. I am currently doing a basic pc repair and maintenance course which has taught me quite abit in a short time, I can now strip down and repair a pc and even build one which of course is a easy peasy.:rolleyes:

What I want to know is it better for me to do a compita A+ followed by N+ rather than opting for the expensive advent courses?

Is it also possible to just buy the A+ N+ books and study them, and once I feel that I am ready for the exams then buy the vouchers for the actual exams?

Also I need to know what is the demand for these days? eg Cisco/Mcse ( in my opinion there are to many mcse qualified personal so if I wanted to get a job dealing with server or what ever I will be struggling to even get my foot into a IT company even if I had the certificates .)

Are there any cheap ways of getting qaulified without going to these expensive homestudy companies?

These Cisco disks that are on sale on ebay are they anygood?

Well thats it for now I hope someone can give me some guidence on what to do...:blink

2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes - A+ followed by N+.

Yes.

The demand is for techs who have experience in a real-life IT environment. Certifications merely give an advantage, but only when experience levels are equal. Employers will usually hire someone with experience and no certifications over someone with certifications and no experience.

In short, you would struggle to get a server admin job simply because you don't have any real-world IT experience assisting in server administration. Certifications alone won't help.

Yep! Books, practice exams, computer-based training... plenty of methods available that don't require that you sacrifice an arm, a leg, and your firstborn.

They're usually full of two things:
    1) copyrighted material (books and software) that they shouldn't be selling, and
    2) cheat sheets called braindumps, which contain questions and answers from the live exam. Using them can get you decertified for life if you're caught.

I'd strongly recommend avoiding them.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. videoman

videoman Bit Poster

I am in a similar situation and basically starting from scratch. My idea after looking at many messages on this forum is to go down the self study route and see how it goes although I am in a fortunate position and have all the time in the world to study.

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  4. Notes_Bloke

Notes_Bloke Terabyte Poster

Hi & welcome to CF:D

NB

Certifications: 70-210, 70-215, A+,N+, Security+
    WIP: MCSA
  5. joe public

joe public New Member

I only registered on the site a few days ago,but welcome to a great forum.
    The sound advice and friendliness to be found on this site is second to none,it has greatly assisted me in a few decisions and has already saved me some money too!Do take note of the advice offered,it is both well intended and accurate.

Good luck in whatever path you choose; IT is a vast area,but there is something for everybody within it's sphere.As much as experience and technical skills help,the 'soft' skills of teamworking,organisation and interpersonal relationships will carry you just as far in your career,so don't neglect them.

Best of luck to you.

Joe.

Certifications: MCSE (NT) MCP's
    WIP: A+,Net+
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

What BM said is spot on.

Don't buy any practice exams of ebay as they'l will likley be Braindumps as he said, using a BD if caught can get you decertified for life and it only lowers the value of certifications gained from people who have studied in a proper manner.

Good luck with the studies

Welcome to CF :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. Advent - LJP

Advent - LJP New Member

I have taken the plunge and am loving it. You have more qualifications than I have. You won't know if you can swim until you get in the pool and move away from the side!

The course is expensive. The books are detailed and a good quality.

Like most people I am feeling the financial pinch, that was the push I needed and I have become more confident in a very short time.

I couldn't find the books for sale, I did look on ebay first.

These qualifications are recognised internationally!

Certifications: Swimming & CLAIT
    WIP: CompTIA +