Hi Ho Hi Ho (It's off to Job Hunting we go)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adsl_alc_20190.bin, Jan 30, 2011.

1. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

:twisted:

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

No, actually, my analogy doesn't say that. My analogy says that all the theoretical book learning might increase his knowledge, but does not give him all the skills he needs to jump into a network administrator position.

Clearer now? I understand you don't like the way I phrase things, which means I often have to spell things out for you...

Because that's what this thread is about... Daniel, please keep up...

Yet you are anyway... :rolleyes:

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

you can dress it up however you want and have these little digs. Lets take your analogy out of the equation, and just agree that having the CCNA theoretical knowledge will be of benefit to him, since at no point did i, or DC Promo whom you originally quoted, say it would.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011
    Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  4. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

It would benefit his knowledge, he'll learn new stuff, however from experience point of view, it won't help much. Any networking role, especially the ones that the OP is looking for will 95% of the time ask for experience, at least 1-2 years worth of experience, but usually more. I've seen this every single time. I would honestly even say that as network/system admin, I would be concerned letting someone touch my network without any experience. It's nothing personal to the individual, it's a matter of protecting myself, my network, the company I work for and saving a lot trouble for the individual.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  5. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

I just wanted to add that every single interview I've been to over last few years (and I've been to a few), I've been asked what Cisco experience I have in regards to my CCENT cert.

Because of my limited experience (occasional config here and there) sometimes I had the feeling that having CCENT on the CV wasn't doing me any good. On top of that in my current work I don't work with Cisco devices at all and my CCENT expires this year.

I will probably upgrade it to CCNA only so it doesn't expire, but I will probably leave it off my CV for the time being.

WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  6. adsl_alc_20190.bin

adsl_alc_20190.bin Bit Poster

ok, been looking for several days now, I have a few more interviews coming up next week but I have decided to take a job in Exeter as an Network engineer, It pays 26K with a 8% target bonus that kicks in after 3 months service with them. The bonus is paid if our team complete the projects within time scale. :twisted::twisted::twisted:

Certifications: ccna, mcts windows 7
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Aye, very good....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. Mariusz

Mariusz Byte Poster

and nobody believed in you :-)
    you must be a good salesman mate :-) congratulations
    any advices for me? :-)
    how were you looking for a job?give me more details please, also about your experience :-)

Certifications: ECDL Extra, ITQ Lvl2, CompTIA A+, N+, S+
    WIP: MCTS 70-680 Win7
  9. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

10. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

I got it. :D

Congratulations OP, let us know how you get on. When do you start? what were you asked in the interview? do tell.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  11. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Sorry do not believe. It so easy to make it up on here. :thumbdwn:thumbdwn:thumbdwn

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  12. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

Agreed

Passed my CCIE yesterday, never looked at a cisco book before and got a job in hawaii on 150k a year. btw what's a rourter?

:mrgreen:

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  13. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Even if what he says is true, what does it "prove"? That its possible to BS your way into a job that you really have no practical qualifications for? :rolleyes:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again: although it is very unlikely to start out in a higher-than-entry-level IT job, it is possible. The problem is that those who expect it to happen to them usually end up disappointed. And those who DO actually luck their way into a better job often end up unemployed once their employer figures out that they really shouldn't have hired someone inexperienced for a higher-level job.

I've seen plenty of people build IT careers over the past dozen years. I've seen what works and what doesn't. Take your chances if you want... but if you shoot for the sun too quickly, you'll probably end up like Icarus.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
    Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  14. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

Guys, does what the OP posted above look rather similar to this and slightly edited:

http://www.justengineers.net/job/data-centre-engineer-937677481

A rare and exciting opportunity has arisen for 2 experienced Network / Data Centre Engineers to support a mission critical colocation, telecoms and hosting site, providing round the clock operational monitoring, support, maintenance, implementation and deployment of high availability infrastructure and associated support systems.

Working for this highly respected & global brand as part of the 24x7 shift in the Data Centre operations team, the position is offered on a permanent basis with a basic salary of between £30,000 - £35,000 per annum (Depending on experience!!!) including shift allowance plus generous benefits. The role is based in Somerset.

The Network & IT Engineer will work on a wide range of technology and equipment, providing the on-site assistance needed by remote IT teams to deliver the fully operational infrastructure for the business. You will take ownership of the entire site from Cisco IP switching and routing to CCTV security to CAT5 cabling, Racking and Stacking, Basic Server configuration and connectivity right through to monitoring the essential M&E equipment such as HVAC, Chillers, UPS, BMS, Generators etc. The Data Centre Technician will provide support, reactive maintenance, planned preventative maintenance, installation & build, configuration and test functions within the mission critical environment.

This will include:

* Management of Contractors working within the Data centre environment.
    * Configuration and set up of various equipment as stipulated by incoming customers / PMs
    * Cisco Router and Switch installation, configuration, support and troubleshooting
    * IP Network maintenance, firewall support and connectivity.
    * Server builds with the assistance of remote IT support and guidance.
    * Installation of Windows Servers, Exchange Server, Red Hat Linux and networking.
    * Working with and management of backup tape libraries.
    * Working on regular and routine M&E maintenance schedules monitoring alarms, temperatures
    * Maintaining regular checks and updating service inspection records of M&E equipment.
    * Operating and maintaining own site and working as part of a 24 x 7 team.
    * Installation of systems and provision of services in close co-operation with Sales and the NOC
    * Development and implementation of processes and procedures to ensure an organised work flow
    * Management of security.
    * Incident management working with NOCs both customers and internal remote based NOC.

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  15. drum_dude

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
  16. drum_dude

LOL!!! You'll be pulling pints for a long time pal!

17. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

/cheer

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  18. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Truly epic. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  19. Apexes

Apexes Gigabyte Poster

I love this thread

Certifications: 70-243 MCTS: ConfigMgr 2012 | MCSE: Private Cloud
  20. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

It all complete utter bull****.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,