Hi Ho Hi Ho (It's off to Job Hunting we go)

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by adsl_alc_20190.bin, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

So you are a career hopper to boot? That's going to harm your chances too.

As for Blagging when you make major mistakes. That's not going to cut the mustard. Make a major mistake in a large company, and you could be costing them hundreds of thousands of pounds an hour, or have lost critical data, or have exposed sensitive information to outside partys.

Good luck to you mate, you are going to need it. We dont recommend the entry level route for ****s and giggles. It's because it is the tried and tested entry path to the sector. Sure others luck in with other paths, but it's MUCH less likely.

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  2. Beerbaron

Beerbaron Megabyte Poster

There are a lot of blaggers in IT which is why many applicants are made to sit a small tests during the interview stage

Certifications: BSc (Hons), MSc, ITIL v3F, MCP, MCDST, MCITP: edst7, MCTS, MCSA: Server 2003, MCSA: Windows 7, N+, NVQ IT lvl 3, MCSA Windows 7, VCP5, CCENT, CEH
    WIP: CISSP
  3. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Good luck to you OP, but I think you are highly unlikely to even get an interview for a Network Admin role unless you out and out lie on your application. They will be wanting 2 and mostly likely 3 years experience as a bare minimum. We interviewed for a junior IT technician role at our place about 6 months ago and a minimum of 1 years experience was listed as essential in the job spec.

Of course, we had many applications were they didn't mean the job/person spec and they didn't make our shortlist. Of all the people that did, they all met the criteria we laid down.

A very confident attitude and manner can certainly go a long way in an interview, but actually getting the interview is kinda important also. And don't underestimate the kind of people who will be interviewing, you are likely to have someone very technical on the panel and it's also common to have to pass a practical test which would back up the kind of things on your application / CV. In short, if you rely on BS and bluster to get through the process, then it won't go so well.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  4. coolc

coolc Nibble Poster

bro i have being looking for i.t work for a very long time longer than anyone and none wants me i have quals and exp .

5. drum_dude

drum_dude Gigabyte Poster

LOL! I bet you were an Estate Agent at one point too eh? I know of blaggers that blag for 90k+ jobs...but blagging for a 21k job? Seems very sad to be honest!

I believe that no matter what trade you are in 90% is customer relations; you make the customer happy, your boss is happy

So what is wrong with Helpdesk work then?

Certifications: MCP, MCSA 2000 , N+, A+ ,ITIL V2, MCTS, MCITP Lync 2010 & MCSA 2008, Sonus SATP SBC 1k/2k
    WIP: Hopefully Skype for Business and some Exchange stuff...
  6. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

You said you worked in IT for three years?

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

OP you are making the same mistake I made.

I applied for high level jobs thinking getting one wouldn't be a problem and as a consequence it took me 8 years to get into IT.

You do not have to start on a help desk to get into IT but you wont get into IT as a network admin if you have no experience and that is regardless of what certs and qualifications you have.

No IT manager in their right mind will employ someone to manage, maintain and support a network infrastructure without pervious experience of doing so.

Positions like network admins have to be worked towards and you definetly wont earn 21k for your first IT job, you will be lucky to get anywhere near 18K and that would only be if you were in London and recieved a living allowance too.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Good luck with that. Let us know how you get on.

You might actually get the job by blagging your way in but when the boss realises that you can't punch the basic buttons on the till you'll probably get sent to the end of the sales queue.

Let me know where to send my CV. :twisted: I like Canadians (can't speak french though I'll give anything a go).

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  9. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Hey you never know, there's always an exception to the rule, good luck and keep us updated

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  10. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

On the contrary, I don't see it as arrogance at all. I see it as ignorance of the industry, which is likely going to be more of a hindrance to you than your lack of experience.

Our point exactly: you haven't done your research of the industry. Our responses should be giving you plenty of information you can use to understand why the IT industry is altogether different from the variety of other career fields you've worked in.

To analogize, you coming on here and confidently stating that you will go directly for upper-level IT jobs with a certification and no experience is like someone strolling right into a hospital and announcing that he is going to be a surgeon without first being an intern. And when half of the doctors laugh and the other half of the doctors attempt to give him advice, he ignores them and tells them that he is different. After all, he's brilliant, and he's done well at other jobs before.

Do you see how crazy this sounds?

By all means, I hope you are the exception to the rule. But I've lost track of the number of brilliant, motivated people who have said the exact same thing as you, only to find the sharp end of reality's stick, disappearing entirely off the IT radar screen.

I've been in IT for almost 13 years now, and I've sat on the hiring side of the interview table. And I can state with a high degree of confidence that you aren't likely to even get an interview, much less "blag" your way into getting the job, particularly with the economy the way it currently is, with experienced network administrators available for hire. I know you don't truly believe this, but I can promise you that no company in their right minds will hire an inexperienced tech to administer their business-critical network.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  11. adsl_alc_20190.bin

adsl_alc_20190.bin Bit Poster

Ok 20-30 calls to large organisations made today, to try and speak to the MD
    I have spoken to three managing directors today, I have a solid interview on Thursday in the Devon area, and one application form on its way for another employer in Exeter. The third M.D took my contact info but from his tone during the conversation I doubt I will hear from them.
    I have applied for various positions online today, I filtered out most of the agency jobs as I do not like dealing with them. Agencies just see you as a faceless number, they don’t listen to the job hunter. All they see is £££££’s.
    My interview is for:
    Network Security Analyst
    Application coming for Network engineer
    Not bad for first day, will try the other MD’s again tomorrow.

Certifications: ccna, mcts windows 7
  12. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That is exactly how i would go about job hunting.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  13. greenbrucelee

You have spoken to some managing directors whoop di doo. As soon as the IT people see that you have no experience they will tell you fook off. Your not doing yourself any favours here mate, we are trying to help you please listen to our advice before you do your career irreperable damage.

You may get very lucky and get a job in networking but once they find out that you cant do the job because of your lack of experience you will end being sacked.

You seem to have listen to what training providers say like that the average salary in IT is 37k and that you can earn that in a couple of years. Guess what? its bull**** to make idiots sign up to courses they shouldn't be doing and get themselves into debt.

14. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

I am totally amazed, who are these managing directors doing when they should looking to these IT people working for him help pick the right person for the role.

He must have conned them somehow. I am certain he made a fake CV with include experience he not does have. :ohmy:ohmy:ohmy

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  15. greenbrucelee

They will probably be proper managing directors who don't have a clue about much especially IT.The MDs will then notify their IT managers or directors and say something like"we have got this guy coming for an interview he has the CCNA certification." then he will pass the OPs CV to the IT manager/director. The IT manager/director will see that the OP has no experience chuck the CV in the bin, interview him anyway then tell him to sod off.

This reminds me of Ali who used to be on here who thought he would earn 30k with the A+ :D

16. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

Yes but I would have thought the managing directors would have sent the CV to the IT Manager/IT person or these large organisation would have an human resource department to deal with the role before inviting him for an interview. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  17. greenbrucelee

Doesn't work like that all the time. If the OP has contacted these MDs directly then if he makes a good impression to them he could be hired by them then fired by the IT guys:D

18. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

It's not as black and white as you are making it out, he has a CCNA so does know his way around a network, doesn't mean he has to be the senior Cisco engineer of a company. You shouldn't knock a man for trying.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  19. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

I know people who are "trying" to get into IT, you have done more in 1 day than they have in 2 years!

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  20. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

That basically sums it up. I have only been employed for 1.5 years altogether, but if i was to go full time i would be on more than 21k a year.

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job