Hi guys.

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by Wozza in Kent, Oct 25, 2007.

1. Wozza in Kent

Wozza in Kent New Member

Hi, my name's Warren, I'm 39 years young and I live in South East Kent.

Because of an injury, I have to search for a new career (can't drive large vehicles anymore as I'm awaiting a knee replacement). I'd like to try to get into web design but there are so many companies out there promising the world.

Which course should I do, and with which company and how much to spend? All questions I have been asking myself.

I have a basic understanding of most Windows systems.

Any help would be great.

Thanks, Warren.

2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Hi & welcome to CF :)

If you want to get into web design, then doing some of the "normal" entry level exams/courses (eg A+, Network+, MCDST) won't really help you. Have a look into the CIW program, they offer self-study kits, or check your local college.

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  3. Wozza in Kent

Wozza in Kent New Member

I've looked at:
    Skillstrain but they were way too pushy.
    Computrain but can't find out anything about them (online interview tomorrow)

I have just looked at the brochure for National IT Leaning Centre who look quite good, but will they help with what I want and does anyone know what sort of costs I can expect?

4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I generally recommend self-study. Resources are widely available, especially for topics at the entry-level... so in my opinion, there's no sense in spending a bunch of money on a training course when there's so much information out there available, either on the Web or in books.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Wozza in Kent

Wozza in Kent New Member

So if I decide on self study, where do I start?

Anyone got any good/bad experiences with Computrain?

6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you decide to self study then get some CIW books and read up yourself, no need for a training provider.

If you feel a course is more your thing then look at your local college, things computeach and computrain are just a rip off.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Hi there and welcome 8)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  8. Rafek

Rafek Kilobyte Poster

Welcome to CF:biggrin

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: IPT/IPCC stuff
  9. Wozza in Kent

Wozza in Kent New Member

Time to get up of my arse and make a start.

I've looked around and there are loads of different books (some free to download), but which ones do I really need to get started in my quest to be a web designer?

Any help would be real help.

10. digiboy

digiboy Bit Poster

I can help u in choosing the books as i have learned webdesign and may i be i can share some books with u if u r interested...reply me if u r interested

cheers

Certifications: Just started studying
    WIP: A+,MCSE,CCNA
  11. AvD

AvD Nibble Poster

Hiya and welcome to the seventh layer of hell, sorry i mean CF!:twisted:

WIP: A+, MCAD